Researcher: Carcinogen spreading from old Visteon-Ford site - New York News

Researcher: Carcinogen spreading from old Visteon-Ford site in Shelby Township

Posted: Updated:
Dr. James Deagun said the carcinogen TCE is spreading from a former Visteon-Ford site in Shelby Township. Dr. James Deagun said the carcinogen TCE is spreading from a former Visteon-Ford site in Shelby Township.
SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WJBK) -

The old Visteon-Ford site at 23 Mile and Mound Road is a property said to be contaminated with trichloroethylene, which is also known as TCE.  It is a degreasing chemical that was commonly used to clean auto parts.

It is also a carcinogen that environmental researcher Dr. James Dragun said is spreading in the soil and groundwater and leaching closer to the baseball diamonds and homes that surround the site.

"As long as nothing is done, it continues to spread," Dragun said.  "It's a big problem, and it covers a wide area."

He estimates remediation could cost $150 million.

"We've got some operations here that have produced some dire environmental hazards, and we need this cleaned up.  We need it cleaned up now," said Shelby Township Supervisor Rick Stathakis.

"Our position is the property owner, Indiana Metals, and primarily Ford Motor Company needs to get the property cleaned up," said Shelby Township attorney Rob Huth.

People who live and work near the site are invited to a public hearing at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday at the township offices.  There Dr. Dragun will be reviewing the results of his environmental study and answering questions.

Mike Grobbel will be there.  He is on the board of directors of the neighboring Central Park Master Community Association.

"Beyond the eyesore, it's really uncertainty.  Will we be affected?  There's some reassurance that so far it appears that we're not, but you can't predict the future.  So we want to see it fixed as quickly as possible," he said.

A representative from Indiana Metals said Ford is responsible for the remediation.  They've submitted a Response Activity Plan to the state, and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality will oversee the investigation and remediation.

Meanwhile, we received this statement from Ford:

"Ford is continuing to conduct an extensive investigation on the property and are working with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to determine what actions, if any, need to be taken. We have kept local residents apprised of our activities and will continue to do so as the process develops. We take this issue seriously and remain committed to doing what is right for the community and the environment."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:54 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:54:43 GMT
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
  • Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:27 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices