Georgians express mixed feelings on gun rights debate - New York News

Georgians express mixed feelings on gun rights debate

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

The Senate rejected a bipartisan effort to expand federal background checks to firearms buyers on Wednesday.  The proposal would have required background checks for all transactions at gun shows and online.  Georgians have watched the gun debate in Washington with a mixture of frustration and concern.

Bob Sinclair tells FOX 5 he's a longtime sport shooter and NRA member, but he supports enhanced background checks for gun purchases.

"We have to do something about it.  Too many crazies getting out and doing something," said Sinclair.  

____

HOT TOPIC QUESTION: Where do you stand on expanding background checks for gun sales? Post your comments on our FOX 5 Atlanta Facebook page, or tweet us @GoodDayAtlanta.

At the same time, he and his daughter, Elaine Medlin, oppose other gun measures.

"I don't know what the solution is, but I don't want my rights taken away," said Medlin.  "I want to carry a gun."

Gun owners like Mike Andrea say they see no benefit in more restrictions.

"All it is going to do is make it harder for the law abiding citizen to purchase a gun, not the criminal," said Andrea.  

Georgia House member LaDawn Jones called for expanded background checks on the state level this year.  Her district includes South Fulton and Douglas counties.

"In the urban area where I'm in, I would like to know that every person walking around with a firearm has been through the background and things they need.  We need that in south Fulton.  We need that in Douglas County.  

But gun restrictions, as well a proposed expansion of gun rights, failed to get a final vote at the State Capitol.  That could be an indication of the outcome at the federal level in Washington.

"Guns are one of the issues that we're so far apart on," said Jones.  "It makes me concerned that anyone will be able to meet wherever that middle ground is."

Observers expect other gun measures besides background checks to also fail in the U.S. Senate as voting continues at the Capitol.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices