Police: DeKalb Co. detective pulled gun in McDonald's drive-thru - New York News

Police: DeKalb Co. detective pulled gun in McDonald's drive-thru

Posted: Updated:
DeKalb County police detective is accused of pointing his service weapon at a teenager in a McDonald's drive-thru line earlier this month. DeKalb County police detective is accused of pointing his service weapon at a teenager in a McDonald's drive-thru line earlier this month.
FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. -

Authorities say a DeKalb County police detective is accused of pointing his weapon at a teenager in a McDonald's drive-thru line earlier this month.  The incident was caught on surveillance video, which appears to show the officer approaching the teen's car and pointing a gun into the driver's side window.

The incident happened at about 10:30 p.m. on April 9 at a McDonald's restaurant on Old Atlanta Road in Cumming.

Forsyth County investigators say 48-year-old Scott Biumi, a sergeant with the DeKalb County Police Department, got upset with 18-year-old Ryan Mash, who is a senior at Lambert High School.  They say Biumi got out of his car and the two exchanged words before Biumi drew his weapon and pointed it at Mash.

"I'm just like, 'I don't want to die.  I'm sorry, sir.  I didn't mean for any of this to happen,'" Mash recalled.

Mash told FOX 5 he was waiting for his food, and he said he told Biumi that's the only reason he was still sitting in the line. 

"And he's like, 'Whatever,' and walked back to his car," Mash said.  "Then I was like, 'Sorry for the inconvenience, sir,'  and he got back out and started yelling at me." 

Mash said Biumi told him, "You don't want to mess with me," before putting his hand on Mash's shoulder and pulling out his gun.  Two of Mash's friends were in the pick-up with him, and they say they couldn't believe what was happening. 

"I was terrified," said Luke Avera.  "I didn't know what to think. My heart was racing."

Mash's friend Drake Thomas said he saw Biumi's badge under his shirt.  Thomas got Biumi's license plate number, and according to the Forsyth County Sheriff's Department, that broke the case.  They call the case disturbing.  

Biumi was arrested on Wednesday morning.  He's charged with aggravated assault.  He was released on $22,000 bond, and is due in court on May 23.  FOX 5 went to Biumi's home for comment on Wednesday, but he referred us to his attorney.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:15:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices