Source: Federal Officials deny bombing suspect is in custody - New York News

Source: Federal Officials deny Boston Marathon suspect is in custody

Boston, MA -

BOSTON (AP/MyFoxBoston.com) – Federal officials are denying that a suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Wednesday a suspect was in custody.

But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston dispute that.

The official who spoke to The Associated Press did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation. The official had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston.

Earlier, sources told FOX 25 that a suspect could be seen on a camera at Lord and Taylor and that an arrest was imminent. It was reported that the suspect could be seen dropping a black bag in that video.

A source also said that cell phone records had helped investigators identify the suspect.

Photos from the Moakley Courthouse in South Boston as well as video from SkyFox showed a large crowd and a large police presence at the courthouse.

Due to the conflicting reports, FOX 25 was working to confirm whether or not an arrest had been made.

On Monday, terror displaced euphoria at the finish line of the Boston Marathon as two bombs, made from pressure cookers, detonated within seconds of each other.

Three people were killed and more than 170 were injured by the blasts as shrapnel tore through the crowd.

President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism. Obama plans to attend an interfaith service Thursday in the victims' honor in Boston.

Scores of victims of the Boston bombing remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries. Doctors who treated the wounded corroborated reports that the bombs were packed with shrapnel intended to cause mayhem. In addition to the 5-year-old child, a 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.

Click refresh on this page for updates as more information becomes available.


 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man helping turtle is attacked by dog

    Man helping turtle is attacked by dog

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:11 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:11:44 GMT
    A Hamden man has been mauled by a dog while trying to help a turtle cross a local road.
    A Hamden man has been mauled by a dog while trying to help a turtle cross a local road.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:22 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:22:25 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices