Suspicious letter intercepted at Sen. Levin's Saginaw office - New York News

Suspicious letter intercepted at Sen. Levin's Saginaw office

Posted: Updated:
Sen. Carl Levin Sen. Carl Levin
SAGINAW, Mich. (WJBK) -

Michigan Sen. Carl Levin said a worker at his Saginaw office received a "suspicious-looking letter" Wednesday morning.

Levin said the employee did not open the letter and alerted the authorities. "We do not know yet if the mail presented a threat," he explained.

We're told that staffer doesn't have any symptoms, but will stay in the hospital overnight as a precaution.

Meanwhile, Levin said the letter is being tested, but preliminary results will not be available until late Wednesday night or Thursday.

"I want to repeat how grateful I am to local, state and federal authorities who reacted so quickly and professionally, and especially to my Saginaw staff for being so vigilant," Levin said in a statement.

The senator's Saginaw office will remain closed until further notice, the statement also said.

Earlier Wednesday, the U.S. Secret Service intercepted a letter addressed to President Barack Obama that contained a "suspicious substance."

A law enforcement official said the letter is very similar to one recently mailed to Mississippi Republican Sen. Roger Wicker.  That letter tested positive Tuesday for poisonous ricin.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices