MLB pitcher .22 DUI arrest - New York News

MLB pitcher .22 DUI arrest

By DINESH RAMDE

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo was arrested on a drunken-driving charge Tuesday after authorities say he was driving on a city highway with a blood-alcohol content nearly three times the legal limit.

Deputies responded about 2 a.m. to a report of a possibly intoxicated driver, Milwaukee County sheriff's spokeswoman Fran McLaughlin said. She said a caller reported seeing a driver repeatedly swerving between lanes, and deputies spotted Gallardo driving alone at 40 mph in a 55-mph zone.

"He was very cooperative," McLaughlin said. "He said he had a couple of beers."

The arrest report says Gallardo had red glassy eyes, slurred speech and an odor of alcohol, and that he failed field-sobriety tests.

Authorities say a breath test revealed a blood-alcohol level of 0.22, nearly three times the legal limit of 0.08, and the reading was matched by a second breath test following his arrest.

The Brewers issued a statement saying they were aware of Gallardo's situation.

"We have expressed our disappointment to him and know he understands that behavior of this nature is of great concern to everyone in the organization," the statement said. "Yovani has acknowledged the seriousness of this incident and is taking full accountability for his actions."

Gallardo spoke to reporters at Miller Park on Tuesday before the Brewers prepared to open a three-game series with the San Francisco Giants.

"You obviously know why I'm here," Gallardo said. "What happened last night, I made a bad decision. I made a mistake and I'm sure I lost a lot of respect from the fans and I just want to apologize to the fans, my teammates, my family.

"Like I said, it's just a bad call. Something I shouldn't have done. I regret it. At this point, obviously, there's nothing I can do about it now. It happened. I just want to apologize to the whole organization and the people of Milwaukee for my actions. It's just ... it's not very easy. It's one of those things... I truly am sorry.

"I'm going to make sure something like this never happens again. Whatever circumstances, consequences ... whatever I have to do so this won't happen again, I'm going to do it."

Gallardo did not take questions from reporters.

"I don't know how long it's going to take to get this cleared up; the whole situation that happened," Gallardo said. "The main thing, like I said, I came out here to apologize. Especially to the people that look up to me. Obviously, it's something that I regret. I'm going to make sure it never happens again."

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke spoke to Gallardo, who is still expected to make his next scheduled start on Thursday.

"I've talked to him and (general manager) Doug (Melvin) has talked to him," Roenicke said. "You guys have talked to him. He feels bad about what happened and knows he shouldn't have been in a position to have anything like that come up."

"As of right now, he's starting Thursday, yes." Roenicke said.

In Wisconsin, first-offense drunken driving is a citation, not a misdemeanor or felony charge. McLaughlin said Gallardo faces nearly $800 in fines for drunken driving and for unsafe driving.

Gallardo was a 16-game winner last season, his fourth consecutive season with at least 200 strikeouts.

He gave up six runs in a loss Saturday to St. Louis and is 0-1 in three starts this season with a 6.61 ERA. The Brewers entered Tuesday's game at 3-8, worst in the NL Central Division.

___

Dinesh Ramde can be reached at dramde(at)ap.org

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

• Sports NewsSports NewsMore>>

Poker champion Beth Shak

Friday, August 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:51:26 GMT
    A good poker face can go a long way. Professional poker player Beth Shak has made millions. The Philadelphia native honed her skills online before playing in a live setting. Now she ranks among the top poker players in the world.She has cashed out at over a dozen tournaments; earning as much as several hundred thousand dollars with each win.

Brooklyn Nets Kids Dance Team auditions

Thursday, August 21 2014 10:26 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:26:39 GMT
    Out of over 500 hopefuls only a handful will join the Brooklyn Nets Kids Dance Team. The Nets held auditions this week at LIU Brooklyn. Adorable Bronx native Arielle was turned away last year but this time around she's made it through to the final round of the auditions. But even those who were on the team last year still have to try out.

New York Islanders to be sold

Tuesday, August 19 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-08-19 18:54:30 GMT
    The New York Islanders have announced that the team is being sold to a former Washington Capitals co-owner and a London-based investor. In a statement Tuesday, the team says a group led by former Capitals co-owner Jon Ledecky and investor Scott Malkin has reached an agreement to buy a "substantial" minority interest in the team.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.