Illinois relatives of runners waited, worried - New York News

Illinois relatives of runners waited, worried

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Associated Press) -

People across Illinois waited nervously for word that friends and relatives running in the Boston Marathon were unhurt by explosions near the finish line.

The marathon's official site says 974 runners from Illinois participated.

Kim Hauser was working as a substitute teacher in the Chicago area Monday when she began receiving text messages asking if her brother, Thomas Wiora, was OK.

Bewildered, she searched the news and understood. She tried to call him, but cell service was not working.

She says she waited for 45 minutes, barely able to contain her emotions. Then she looked to see another text message: This one was from her brother saying he was fine.

He'd crossed the finished line and was 120 yards away when the explosions went off.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices