Man who set Sunflower wildfire sentenced to probation - New York News

Man who set Sunflower wildfire sentenced to probation

Posted: Updated:
Steven Shiflet at Federal Court building in Phoenix - 4/15/13 Steven Shiflet at Federal Court building in Phoenix - 4/15/13
PHOENIX -

It burned 18,000 acres last year and on Monday, the man who sparked the Sunflower wildfire found out his punishment.

Steven Shiflet was an Eagle Scout, an upstanding member of the community, loved the outdoors, but made a dumb move in a bone dry forest -- and the Sunflower fire roared to life.

The move was made by the Mesa resident on May 12.  He and four friends were camping near Sycamore Creek when they started target shooting.

Shiflet fired an incendiary shell that lit some brush on fire and the men could not extinguish it.  They called 911 and were told to leave the area immediately.

Shiflet was charged with three counts in federal court.

He told the court he never intended for this to happen and that he was extremely sorry.

Judge Steven Logan sentenced Shiflet to 200 hours of community service to be served with the Forest Service and two years probation.

Logan called Shiflet's firing of the shell a momentary lapse in judgement, cited his good standing in the community and the fact that he's never been in trouble before.

It cost the Forest Service $4.4 million to put out the wildfire and the U.S. did not seek restitution in this case.

Shiflet was fined $2,000.  He did not say anything to FOX 10 as he left court Monday morning.

Shiflet was 23-years-old at the time of the Sunflower fire.  He was described as an avid hiker and camper and the U.S. prosecuting attorney even acknowledged in court that Shiflet feels worse than anyone about the blaze.

Follow this story:

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Arrest made in attack of mother, children

    Arrest made in attack of mother, children

    Friday, August 29 2014 6:10 AM EDT2014-08-29 10:10:47 GMT
    The NYPD arrested a suspect in the attempted sexual assault of a mother in front of her three children.  Police say they busted Pedro Vargas, 48, of Yonkers on Thursday.  Chilling surveillance video released by cops showed a  man pretending to be a livery cab driver, pulling the woman out of a car, elbowing her five-year-old child in the face and tossing her three-year-old child onto the sidewalk in Queens.
    The NYPD arrested a suspect in the attempted sexual assault of a mother in front of her three children.  Police say they busted Pedro Vargas, 48, of Yonkers on Thursday.  Chilling surveillance video released by cops showed a  man pretending to be a livery cab driver, pulling the woman out of a car, elbowing her five-year-old child in the face and tossing her three-year-old child onto the sidewalk in Queens.
  • 'Resting comfortably'

    Joan Rivers rushed to NYC hospital

    Joan Rivers rushed to NYC hospital

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:58 AM EDT2014-08-29 09:58:52 GMT
    Hollywood legend Joan Rivers, 81, remains in critical but stable condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. The comedian and TV host was undergoing an outpatient procedure at a clinic on the Upper East Side on Thursday when she went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement saying her mother was "resting comfortably."

    Hollywood legend Joan Rivers, 81, remains in critical but stable condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. The comedian and TV host was undergoing an outpatient procedure at a clinic on the Upper East Side on Thursday when she went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement saying her mother was "resting comfortably."

  • Mayor pushes back pre-k concerns

    Mayor pushes back pre-k concerns

    Thursday, August 28 2014 10:16 PM EDT2014-08-29 02:16:46 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio, educators and city leaders gathered at p.s. 307 in Brooklyn on Thursday to talk with pride about more than 50,000 kids who have enrolled in pre-kindergarten. Universal full-day pre-k was a platform of his campaign when he ran for mayor.Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina also feels the pre-k program is ready for launch.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio, educators and city leaders gathered at p.s. 307 in Brooklyn on Thursday to talk with pride about more than 50,000 kids who have enrolled in pre-kindergarten. Universal full-day pre-k was a platform of his campaign when he ran for mayor.Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina also feels the pre-k program is ready for launch.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices