Workers at DTW detain suspect after car driven onto airfield - New York News

Workers at Metro Airport detain suspect after car driven onto airfield

Posted: Updated:
Detroit Metropolitan Airport Detroit Metropolitan Airport
ROMULUS, Mich. (WJBK) -

Friday night at Metro Airport, you know the routine, flights coming in and flights going out, but Fox 2 has learned one man was on an unauthorized mission in his automobile.

Airport spokesperson Mike Conway said it appears a 25-year-old metro Detroiter drove his vehicle "behind a fuel tanker and snuck right in behind.  The gate arm came down and just barely missed the car."

However, it made it through Vehicle Checkpoint #1, land that is off limits to everybody except certain airport employees.

"The vehicle drove onto the airfield," Conway explained, where it and he had no business being, and the suspect was met by a couple of Delta employees.

"Saw this vehicle on the ramp and knew it shouldn't have been there, and they kind of angled him off," Conway said.

The suspect ended up inside of one of the Delta hangers.

"He jumped out of his car and ran... inside the doors.  The Delta employees grabbed him immediately and hung onto him until the police came," said Conway.

Delta employees and checkpoint guards called the cops at the same time.

"That, so to speak, worked.  We've got camera coverage.  We've got police response.  We've got the checkpoint guard, and we've got employees who have all been trained.  If you knew what it took to get one of these badges.  Everybody gets training, and when you see something suspicious, when you see somebody on the airfield that doesn't have a badge or shouldn't be there, you stop them, and so everybody did their job," Conway said.

However, the work was not yet complete.

"We brought out the dogs and all the bomb equipment and checked his vehicle.  They checked the whole path, it wasn't a very long path, but the path where he was on the ramp and in the hanger, checked everything out.  There's nothing hazardous, nothing explosive or anything like that," said Conway.

We're told the motivation behind this incident is unknown at this time, and the suspect will be going for a psychological evaluation.

"The police, when they tried to arrest him, cuff him, he resisted," Conway said.

We're also told security procedures will be reviewed because this never should have happened.  As for the suspect's injuries, he had some cuts on his face that needed to be stitched up.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
  • Garner's family meets U.S. attorney

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:34:05 GMT
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices