Primary Suspect In Girl's Kidnapping Flees To Mexico - New York News

Primary Suspect In Girl's Kidnapping Flees To Mexico

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

(CNS) The primary suspect in the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 10-year-old Northridge girl was seen on surveillance tape crossing a foot bridge into Mexico, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said today.

Tobias Dustin Summers was charged this week with 37 felonies stemming from last week's abduction of the girl from her bedroom in the 8000 block of Oakdale Avenue. Police had said recently they believed he was in the San Diego area, and may have changed his appearance by shaving his head.

Beck said today investigators spotted Summers on a surveillance tape taken late last week showing him crossing a bridge into Tecate, Mexico.

It was unclear exactly when Summers crossed the border, or if the suspect was still in Mexico.

The girl was snatched around 3 a.m. March 27 from her bedroom. Her mother heard noises in the home and checked on her daughter, only to find her missing. Police fanned out across the San Fernando Valley in search of her. At about 2:50 p.m. that day, she was dropped off near a Woodland Hills-area hospital and walked to a nearby Starbucks, where she was found by a good Samaritan who pointed her toward police.

The girl was barefoot and appeared to be wearing different clothing than those she was reported to be wearing when she disappeared.

Police said she had abrasions, including some on her face, when she was found.

On Sunday, police in Northridge arrested 29-year-old Daniel Martinez, who has since been charged with one count each of kidnapping and first-degree burglary. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday in San Fernando Superior Court to the charges, which could carry up to 12 years in state prison.

Martinez was waiting in a car outside the Northridge home when Summers emerged with the 10-year-old girl from the house, prosecutors allege. Martinez allegedly drove a short distance before leaving the car.

Summers, who is described by prosecutors as 32 years old and by police as 30, faces multiple life terms if convicted, according to the District Attorney's Office. He is charged with one count each of kidnapping a victim under 14, kidnapping to commit another crime and first-degree burglary with a person present, along with 34 sex-related charges.

Summers has large tattoos of a flaming skeleton face and a woman on his right arm. He was described as a white man weighing about 160 pounds with blond, closely cropped hair and blue eyes.

Police said the suspect is a transient who was known to frequent the Devonshire, North Hollywood and greater San Fernando Valley areas.

Officers said Summers has a lengthy rap sheet dating back to 2002, and was released from custody last July -- apparently as a result of the state's effort to relieve prison overcrowding. He has served prison terms for robbery, kidnapping, explosives possession and petty theft, police said.

The criminal complaint alleges that Summers has prior convictions for grand theft and petty theft dating back to December 2003.

It was not known whether the girl was targeted or was a random victim.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:34:04 GMT
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
  • NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 01:30:41 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices