2 brothers help Phoenix family escape burning home - New York News

2 brothers help Phoenix family escape burning home

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

Twin brothers are being called heroes after waking a family as their home burned overnight.

They were on their way home from work when they smelled a fire and instead of calling 911, they searched for the home near 43rd Avenue and McDowell Road.

"I'm just glad the creator put 'em in that place at that time, driving down the road so they could help us," said Eric Smith.

Smith expressed endless gratitude to the strangers who smelled smoke and searched the neighborhood for a burning home.

"And I noticed flames coming out of the attic and I told him to pull over so we can get the family out," said Jose Ramirez.

His brother Josue added, "I see where the fire's at..I just ran and I see the door, opened it to see if anybody was in there, yelled out, a guy came out.  I was like, 'Hey man, your house is on fire.'  He goes, 'For reals?' I was like, 'Get everyone out, man."

Firefighters believe the fire began because of a problem with the bathroom fan, then it spread to the attic while the family was asleep.  The smoke detector didn't go off.

"I didn't hear no fire alarms..so hearing someone banging on my door was scary enough.  Seeing all the smoke..it was really scary," said Dharshina Begay.

6-year-old Naatsilid and his 1-year-old brother Gai Schi spent the morning playing with our cameras and a new teddy bear.  Their family knows what could have happened if it weren't for the Ramirez brothers.

"Very special, very, very special guys and I am very thankful that they were here at the time," said Smith.

"It's just karma.  That's what I think," said Jose.

But they did crack some smiles as they were called heroes.

"I feel good.  I feel good," said Josue.

Two pets, a dog and cat, also made it out safely.  

The family owns a T-shirt company and they were able to get all of the inventory that they had stored inside the home out before it caught on fire. However, some equipment for their business was ruined.

The family does have a place to stay.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Sunday, September 14 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:42:47 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
  • Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
  • Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices