Boys who beat up girl on a bus get in-school detention - New York News

Boys who beat up girl on a bus get in-school detention

Posted: Updated:
ROCKWOOD, Mich. (WJBK) -

Family members say a red, swollen eye was the first sign of trouble when 9-year-old Kayla got off the school bus.

The 3rd grader says two boys beat her up on the way home from school Tuesday, pinning her arms and legs and covering her mouth when she tried to scream.

Kayla: "One pressed his fist up against my ear, the other hit me in the eye."

kayla's little brother rides the same bus and says he witnessed the attack but when family members reported the incident to the school principal, they say the two boys got an in-school detention and were kept off the playground for 2 days as punishment.

They say Kayla also got detention because the principal wasn't sure who was telling the truth.

Kayla: "The principal kept saying you must have done something."

Kayla's Grandmother: "It's not fair that Kayla got detention for reporting that she was held down by two boys."

Kayla, who's family moved here from Tennessee last year, says the same two boys have been picking on her all school year on the playground and the bus, but she didn't tell anyone what was going on.

Fox 2's Robin Schwartz tried to call the superintendent for comment but our calls were not returned.  It is spring break now through April 7th. When classes resume, Kayla's family says she'll get rides to and from school and will no longer be taking the bus

Not satisfied with the principal's actions, the family says they went to the superintendent and also filed a police report.

They're hoping something more will be done to ensure Kayla's safety and teach the boys involved to stop bullying before things get worse.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices