Forbes: "Detroit: A tale of two cities" - New York News

Forbes: "Detroit: A tale of two cities"

Posted: Updated:
(Credit: Forbes) (Credit: Forbes)
DETROIT, Mich. (WJBK) -

We see evidence of it nearly every week it seems with news of another downtown building being bought up by billionaire Dan Gilbert. That, along with the other signs of renewal including the recent expansion of Cobo Center have helped land Detroit on Forbes' list of cities with 'emerging downtowns.'

The article says of Detroit, "It's a tale of two cities: the one that's bankrupt and then there's the one that's revitalizing its downtown and attracting the young and the restless," says Lee Fisher of CEOs for Cities.

The magazine also gives a nod to Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert who has poured millions into redeveloping the area's commercial real estate while relocating many of his businesses to the area.

It's part of a larger initiative to attract 15,000 young professionals downtown by 2015, according to Forbes' Joann Muller.

Read more at: '15 U.S. Cities with Emerging Downtowns'

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices