Riverside Pulls 100K Pledge from $1M Dorner Reward - New York News

Riverside Pulls 100K Pledge from $1M Dorner Reward

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

 By Ed Laskos:

The reward offered during the manhunt for the rogue LAPD Cop, Christopher Dorner, is losing money by the day.

The City Of Riverside now confirming it is pulling it's pledge of 100 thousand dollars. City Leaders saying the money

was meant for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Dorner. Both of those conditions were not met.

Several Financial backers are now reported to be thinking of changing their minds and pulling their pledges and their money

from the reward. The reward grew to more than a Million Dollars during the days of the desperate manhunt for Dorner in mid-February.

It ended in a shootout in Big Bear, when Dorner is said to have killed himself.  Two claims have been made for the reward from those

who came in contact with Dorner and called investigators. LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck have

both said the reward should be issued.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(FOX 11/CNS) While the manhunt for fired LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner was in progress last month, rewards in excess of $1 million were offered in connection with the case, but some groups that pledged money are reconsidering, saying their criteria were not met, it was reported today.

Two claims have been made on the money since Dorner's death Feb. 12 -- by a couple near Big Bear who were tied up and whose car was stolen, and by a man whose pickup truck Dorner later hijacked.   

However, some who pledged money have said they offered the reward for information that would have led to the arrest and conviction of Dorner, neither of which occurred, the Los Angeles Times reported. Dorner committed suicide while cornered in a burning cabin near Big Bear.

The Los Angeles Police Department, responding to the arguments donors have made publicly, said the money should be paid.  

Much of the confusion surrounding the conditions of the reward began with the language used by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa in his announcement of a $1 million reward.

Donors specified that the money they pledged was for Dorner's arrest and conviction. But Villaraigosa broadened it to "capture" in his public remarks -- and some have argued that the word could be interpreted to include Dorner's being surrounded in a cabin before he committed suicide, The Times reported.

Police believe Dorner went on a 10-day killing rampage of revenge against law enforcement officials whom he blamed for his 2009 firing from the force. He is thought to have killed Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain; San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah MacKay; Monica Quan, the daughter of a retired LAPD captain; and Quan's fiance, Keith Lawrence.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Brooklyn deli clerk set on fire

    Brooklyn deli clerk set on fire

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:25 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:25:11 GMT
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
    A store clerk inside of a Brooklyn mini-mart was set ablaze when an enraged sicko threw a Molotov Cocktail into the store.  It happened just before 2 a.m. on Wednesday at the store on Fort Hamilton Parkway.The 34-year-old store clerk had his hair and coat catch fire in the attack.
  • Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 10:07 AM EDT2014-04-24 14:07:15 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices