Runners and revelers work to rid Detroit of Nain Rouge - New York News

Runners and revelers work to rid Detroit of Nain Rouge

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (myFOXDetroit.com) -

The Marche du Nain Rouge Sunday brought more than 3,000 revelers and a band of runners to Detroit's Cass Corridor.

The fourth annual festival and parade celebrated Detroit's folkloric tradition of banishing the "Nain Rouge," or red dwarf, who has haunted Detroit for more than 300 years.

This year's event featured an added bonus. The first-ever 5K Run Du Nain Rouge took place at 11 a.m. at the corner of Cass and Canfield in Midtown.

All the post-race festivities began at Traffic Jam & Snug's parking lot at 1 p.m. Thousands gathered to chant and taunt the Nain Rouge, who decided to make an appearance!

The Marche procession led the revelers through North Cass Corridor and down Cass Avenue, with an unprecedented effort to rid Detroit of the Nain Rouge. The ghosts of Detroit's past, followed by the Detroit Party Marching Band, led the procession.

Revelers ended their march and banished the Nain Rouge on Temple Street.

The Marche du Nain Rouge is rooted in Detroit's early history, when Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac founded Detroit and was confronted by the Nain Rouge. He purportedly hit the Nain Rouge with his cane and became cursed for life.

Since then, the Nain Rouge has been spotted throughout Detroit's history, usual at the city's most notorious occurrences.

The event was re-ignited in 2010 when 400 Detroiters gathered to continue a lost tradition - to march the Nain Rouge out of Detroit on the Spring Equinox.

The carnival-esque festival calls for all Detroiters to don costumes that mask themselves in front of the Nain Rouge and represent the effigy they want to shed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices