Meningitis Scare: NAU student hospitalized - New York News

Meningitis Scare: NAU student hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

One Northern Arizona University student was hospitalized this week with meningitis and now eight others are being treated with antibiotics.

A lot of people are talking about this disease because those nine people were infected at NAU and a San Diego man recently died because of the disease.

We spoke to an epidemic expert about signs and symptoms you should look for.

"Meningitis can be very concerning because it can be fatal in some cases.  It's a serious disease and it needs to be taken seriously," said Jessica Rigler of the Arizona Department of Health Services.

Meningitis is a bacterial infection of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.  Symptoms typically develop within three to seven days of exposure.

Rigler is the Chief of the Bureau of Epidemiology and Disease Control at ADHS and she says in some cases, meningitis can cause death within 12 to 24 hours.

"Signs and symptoms of meningitis could include high fevers, headaches, body aches, stiff necks -- we see often sometimes body rashes."

Last year, there were six cases of meningitis in Arizona.  That's down from 12 in 2011.  This year, there have been three reported cases in Arizona so far.  Infants and people living in close quarters, like college students are at high risk.

"It's not typically spread by touching the same surfaces, but sharing things like drinks or food or other types of close contact where you're seeing that saliva interchange.. like you would be if you were sharing a water bottle or something," said Rigler.

For more information on the disease, check out the links below:

Meningitis - Arizona 2-1-1 Resource Database
Find low-cost health clinics at www.mycommunitypt.com/arizona

CDC - Meningitis
www.cdc.gov/meningitis

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices