SEXUAL BULLYING: Police investigate 8th grade boy, text message - New York News

SEXUAL BULLYING: Police investigate 8th grade boy, picture message

Posted: Updated:
ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) -

St. Paul police are investigating a report that a young girl was coerced into performing a sexual act on a classmate who later sent pictures of the alleged incident to a friend.

St. Thomas More Catholic School is supposed to be a bully-free zone where students from kindergartners to eighth graders are taught to treat each other with dignity and respect, but the allegations found in a search warrant are so staggering, the principal says the school is also conducting its own investigation.

Police began their probe after an 8th grade student told a mandated reporter at the school that a classmate who had been bullying her since the beginning of the year told her he would be nice to her if she performed oral sex on him. The student also said the boy took a picture of her in the act and then sent it to a friend via text message.

A local advocate for victims of sexual violence told FOX 9 News cases like this are more common than one might think, even among children as young as those in the eighth grade.

"We work with kids 12 and older, but I've heard of cases like this happening in grade schools," said Jude Foster, of the Sexual Violence Center.

Foster said the bullying in this case caused the girl to be victimized twice because the boy shared the photograph with at least one friend.

"It's hard enough to survive the assault and to go through that," Foster said. "To have that documented and sent out, that's like being sexually assaulted over and over again."

A recent study found that 48 percent of students between grades seven and 12 have been sexually harassed, and Foster told FOX 9 News it's everyone's responsibility to make sure that children learn that it is not okay -- at school or elsewhere.

"We all need to work together to have dialogue and create safe spaces for our youth," she said.

Investigators have questioned the boy and his parents, and they also executed a search warrant for his phone. So far, he has not been charged.

Join our Facebook family

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices