New Prague student, 12, in custody after school shooting hoax - New York News

New Prague student, 12, in custody after middle school shooting hoax

Posted: Updated:
NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (KMSP) -

New Prague police confirm that a 12-year-old student was taken into custody on Wednesday after reportedly making two false 911 calls claiming two people had been injured in a shooting at the New Prague Middle School.


TWO CALLS MADE BEFORE 8 A.M.

The first call came in at about 7:55 a.m., with the second following about four minutes later and offering more detail as to the location of the shooting, according to Scott County 911 Dispatch.

The caller told dispatchers he was inside one of the school buildings, Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka said.

"He claimed he needed help because there was a shooter in the building with an AK-47 and that there were a couple of victims," Studnicka said.

When dispatchers asked for the caller's cell phone number, he claimed it was a new phone and he didn't know the number, the sheriff said.


SCHOOL PLACED ON 'CODE RED' LOCKDOWN

New Prague Area Schools Superintendent Larry Kauzlarich confirmed to FOX 9 News that the school was placed on lockdown after the incident was reported, as is standard procedure.

"Children's safety is always our top priority," Kauzlarich said. "This incident truly underscores how critical our 'Code Red' training has been."

By 9 a.m., investigators were confident that the call was a hoax. After going room to room, police took a 12-year-old boy into custody in connection with the false reports.


OFFICIALS CONFIRM NO GUN WAS ON CAMPUS

"At no time was there the presence of a firearm within the school," stated New Prague Police chief Mark Vosejpka. "The students and staff were never in any real danger, but it is important to note that our emergency response system worked exactly as it was designed."

Vosejpka didn't explain what led investigators to suspect the boy.

By Wednesday afternoon, FOX 9 News received confirmation from Marsh Halberg, of Halberg Criminal Defense, that his office has been retained to represent the 12-year-old. He also confirmed no gun was involved.

"On behalf of my client's parents, they wish for other parents to know that no firearm was actually involved and that it is safe for the students to return to school," Halberg wrote.


SCHOOL DISMISSED, TO RESUME THURSDAY

After the calls were determined to be false, students at New Prague Middle School were dismissed for the remainder of the day at 10:30 am.

Kauzlarich added that the experience was very frightening for many of the children, especially since this is the second such incident in the district this year. Two months ago, a student was expelled after phoning in a bomb threat.

"We were in choir at the time and went into the back room and locked the doors," recalled Gillian Duncan, a seventh grade student. "Our choir teacher was crying and everybody was talking because they thought it was a drill, but then the sheriff and police showed up and everybody figured out it was real and it was real scary."

In response, Kauzlarich said the school will have counselors and social workers on hand when classes resume on Thursday.


ALLEGED CALLER TO REMAIN IN CUSTODY

In a release, Halberg explained that police have been both professional and sensitive in their response and confirmed that authorities are not focusing on any other individuals at this time.

Halberg estimated that his client will remain in custody until a juvenile detention hearing takes place sometime on Thursday or Friday.


NEARBY COMMUNITIES HASTEN TO RESPOND

Emergency responders from the following communities responded:

  • New Prague
  • Belle Plaine
  • Jordan
  • Lonsdale
  • Prior Lake
  • Savage
  • Shakopee

Officers with the Minnesota State Patrol and deputies from sheriff's offices in Scott, Rice and LeSueur counties also responded.


Find Shelby on Google Plus.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:37:19 GMT
    One of the two deputy U.S. marshals shot in the West Village was released from the hospital on Tuesday. The marshals and an NYPD detective were seriously wounded in a shootout with fugitive sexual assault suspect Charles Richard Mozdir, officials said. The shootout happened in a smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street. Mozdir was killed.
    One of the two deputy U.S. marshals shot in the West Village was released from the hospital on Tuesday. The marshals and an NYPD detective were seriously wounded in a shootout with fugitive sexual assault suspect Charles Richard Mozdir, officials said. The shootout happened in a smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street. Mozdir was killed.
  • 4 injured in Brooklyn building fire

    4 injured in Brooklyn building fire

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:33:06 GMT
    Four people were injured in a fire in an apartment building on Loring Ave. in East New York, Brooklyn.The flames broke out at about 11:13 a.m. on Tuesday in the six-story building. The injured were taken to a local hospital. Three of the victims were reportedly children. The extent of their injuries is unclear.
    Four people were injured in a fire in an apartment building on Loring Ave. in East New York, Brooklyn.The flames broke out at about 11:13 a.m. on Tuesday in the six-story building. The injured were taken to a local hospital. Three of the victims were reportedly children. The extent of their injuries is unclear.
  • Stuck NJ Transit train removed

    Stuck NJ Transit train removed

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:24 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:24:49 GMT
    A New Jersey Transit commuter train with about 1,000 passengers on board became disabled just outside the Hudson River tunnel in Manhattan on Tuesday morning. The train which was on the Northeast Corridor line broke down near 10th Ave., according to NJ Transit officials.  It is not clear what caused the mechanical problem. Lighting and air conditioning on the train were never impacted, according to NJ Transit.
    A New Jersey Transit commuter train with about 1,000 passengers on board became disabled just outside the Hudson River tunnel in Manhattan on Tuesday morning. The train which was on the Northeast Corridor line broke down near 10th Ave., according to NJ Transit officials.  It is not clear what caused the mechanical problem. Lighting and air conditioning on the train were never impacted, according to NJ Transit.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices