2nd Avenue subway site worker freed from trench - New York News

Construction resumes at site of trench rescue

Posted: Updated:

Construction will resume Thursday at the site where a worker got stuck in mud for nearly four hours before being rescued.

Joseph Barone remains in serious but stable condition. He told reporters he's looking forward to getting back to work.

Rescuers freed Barone from mud and debris 75 feet below ground.

Fire officials say he was pulled out shortly after 12:30 a.m., after he became stuck up to his chest.

More than 150 firefighters responded to the scene at Second Avenue and East 95th Street. Three firefighters suffered non-life threatening injuries during the rescue operation. A Consolidated Edison vacuum truck was sent to scene to help remove debris.

It happened at around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

In September, a controlled blast at the Second Avenue construction site sent rocks flying into the streets when steel plates covering the blast failed.

The worker is in serious but stable condition.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
  • TrafficMore>>

  • Port Authority to plan for new bus terminal

    Port Authority to plan for new bus terminal

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 3:02 PM EDT2014-07-23 19:02:29 GMT
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is discussing a new main bus terminal. The 64-year-old Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan has come under criticism from New Jersey lawmakers who say their constituents have to deal with long delays, substandard conditions and a lack of communication.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is discussing a new main bus terminal. The 64-year-old Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan has come under criticism from New Jersey lawmakers who say their constituents have to deal with long delays, substandard conditions and a lack of communication.
  • 2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:19:59 GMT
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
  • Repaving of Palisades Parkway begins

    Repaving of Palisades Parkway begins

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:42:19 GMT
    Crews have begun repaving along the Palisades Interstate Parkway. The last time such work was done on the road, which links New York state to the George Washington Bridge, was the mid-1990s.
    Crews have begun repaving along the Palisades Interstate Parkway. The last time such work was done on the road, which links New York state to the George Washington Bridge, was the mid-1990s.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices