Mich. State Police: Jump in helmetless motorcyclists killed - New York News

Mich. State Police: Jump in helmetless motorcyclists killed

Posted: Updated:
A motorcycle at Rosenau Powersports in Dearborn Heights.  A law requiring riders to wear helmets was repealed last April.  (Credit: Fox 2 News) A motorcycle at Rosenau Powersports in Dearborn Heights. A law requiring riders to wear helmets was repealed last April. (Credit: Fox 2 News)
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) -

Michigan State Police released the numbers recently.  55 motorcycle operators that died in 2012 were not wearing helmets compared to only five in 2011.  Back in April of last year, the helmet law was repealed allowing riders the choice.

"It scares me every time I see it," said Steve Patterson with Rosenau Powersports.  "It looks so sweet and comfy, and it just looks free and happy, but when I see it, I'm just like oh my god."

The numbers here tell the story and are pretty staggering, but regardless of the math, plenty of riders still choose to go without a helmet.

"I think that the riders that do ride without a helmet, I think they know that, but I think that's a part of maybe the thrill of riding is everything is on the edge and on the limit," Patterson remarked.  "I think they're just gambling and taking that chance, and a lot of riders don't take the chance, but [I saw] quite a few of them last year that were riding with no helmet."

At Fox 2, there are a good number of employees that ride motorcycles, all of whom wear helmets except for one.

"Apparently I've got a death wish," said Charlie LeDuff.

"What's the thrill of riding a motorcycle without the helmet?" I asked him.

"Breeze in your hair, man, freedom, smelling the wind, hearing it," he replied.

"Is the smell of that wind and the breeze in that hair worth risking your life for?" I further asked.

"When a person goes out on a motorcycle, they don't plan to lay it down at 70, and I think if you do, you're probably not going to walk away anyway.  That's the thinking," LeDuff said.

Thankfully for us, Charlie is still okay.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot in Manhattan

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:28 PM EDT2014-07-28 20:28:07 GMT
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened near West 4th Street and Jones Street. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened near West 4th Street and Jones Street. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
  • Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:24:34 GMT
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:46:07 GMT
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices