All Eyes Remain On Sistine Chapel's Chimney - New York News

All Eyes Remain On Sistine Chapel's Chimney

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

So far, the smoke has been black as cardinals stay behind closed doors for another round of voting at the Sistine Chapel.

Thick black smoke was seen by onlookers in Saint Peter's square on Wednesday morning, showing still no agreement on who will be the next leader of the Roman Catholic Church.

The smoke appeared shortly before 7 a.m., suggesting three votes have now passed. As least two more votes can be held Wednesday.

Black smoke first poured out of the chimney Tuesday night, indicating that day one's first and only vote was unsuccessful.

So, all eyes are focused on the tiny chimney where the white smoke will eventually appear when the identity of the next pontiff is known.

Even Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is reportedly watching intently to see who his successor will be.

"He was watching attentively the mass yesterday morning, and he was tuned in to watch the ceremony yesterday afternoon," Vatican spokesman Father Thomas Rosica said.

The cardinals are cut off from the modern world while balloting continues, spending their down time at the Vatican's Santa Marta Hotel.

With four rounds of voting scheduled each day through Friday, hopes to get the minimum 77 votes needed to be the next Holy Father remain alive and well among the church faithful in Saint Peter's Square.

"Either Italian, or European or non-European, what is important is that he must believe in his mission as I do," said security volunteer Franco Moscatelli, through a translator.

"Let's hope that the Holy Spirit will bring us the new Pope, for everybody's peace," said Sister Maria, of Brazil, also through a translator.

FOX 29's Iain Page is continuing to report live from Rome. He checked in again at 7 a.m., just after the latest smoke sighting.

Earlier this morning, Dr. Anthea Butler, associate professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania, joined "Good Day" to help us break down the papal conclave and what's happening. Her video interview is the last video clip above, or you can click here to watch it.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:04:00 GMT
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
  • Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:27 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices