St. Paul victim recalls home invasion burglary, assault - New York News

St. Paul victim recalls home invasion burglary, assault with metal pipe

Posted: Updated:
ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) -

No one ever wants to wake up in the middle of the night to find someone has broken into their home, but that was only the beginning for one St. Paul man and his elderly mother late last week.

St. Paul police are investigating the case as a home invasion, telling FOX 9 News that the victims were tied up while two intruders ransacked the home for money and electronics.

"I've been living here 30 something years. It never happened to me. It's the first time," Leo Ng said.

Although repairing the door the robbers broke down isn't too difficult, Ng says living with the memory of what happened is a different story.

"I'm OK, but my mom's scared," he told FOX 9 News. "Still won't be able to sleep."

Ng said he was sleeping in his room at about midnight on Friday when two men with flashlights kicked in his front door, hit him over the head with a metal pipe.

"All I saw is white light," he recalled. "Then, I started yelling and then I see a steel bar hit my head. I told him, 'I'm going to die.' He [told] me, 'You're not going to die,' then [tied] me up, put me down on the floor and then covered me with a blanket."

The invaders also tied Ng's 87-year-old mother, leaving bruises on the elderly woman's wrists.

"They had the bright light on my face, and only he [saw] me. I don't see him, but my mom [saw] a huge guy in the hallway -- but he just [knocked] her down," Ng said.

For the next hour and a half, the two intruders searched the house for money and valuables.

"They said, 'Where is the money? Where is the money?' I said, 'I don't have money. See my car? It's over 11 years old,'" Ng recalled. "They didn't say anything."

The invaders eventually made off with a 55-inch flat screen TV, a laptop and almost $800 in coins. They also took Ng's minivan, a 2001 silver Chrysler Voyager with a noticeable dent on the back and license plate 350-BDK.

Ng owned Leo's Chow Mein in Mounds Park until he sold it a few years ago to enjoy a more peaceful life. Now, he hopes police can find the men who broke into his house before they have a chance to come back.

"I feel in this world, no place is safe," Ng admitted. "I don't know if any place is safe."

Police have not yet made any arrests. Anyone with information on the case is urged to give St. Paul police a call.

Join our Facebook family

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:08 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:08:34 GMT
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:23:11 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices