Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion - New York News

Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday. Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday.
Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion. Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion.
HADDON HEIGHTS, N.J. -

The Camden County Fire Marshal has confirmed a natural gas leak is to blame for the explosion that demolished a Haddon Heights three-story home Saturday.

The explosion happened Saturday afternoon inside one of the apartments of the home on the 100 block of Whitehorse Pike.

Two people were injured with second degree burns.

According to the fire marshal, a leaking natural gas line to an appliance ignited when one of the tenants turned on her stove.

The 26-year-old woman was hospitalized at Crozer Chester Medical Center and is still in critical condition, the fire marshal said.

Neighbors say the explosion shook homes for blocks around.

On Sunday, dozens of neighbors stopped by the home to take pictures of what little was left of the Victorian home, which was converted into five apartment units.

The explosion left as many as six people homeless.

A cleanup crew spent an hour Sunday sweeping glass off the street. Firefighters say the explosion caused glass to fly as far as a block away.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Mosquito-borne virus sickens 20 NJ residents

    West Nile found in New Jersey mosquitoes

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:48:57 GMT
    Twenty New Jersey residents have tested positive for a mosquito-borne virus that has spread through the Caribbean. The state Health Department says the residents who came down with chikungunya had returned to New Jersey from the Caribbean. Chikungunya causes a high fever and severe pain in the joints. It is rarely fatal. Meanwhile, the West Nile virus was found across the state, but no one has tested positive, said health officials.
    Twenty New Jersey residents have tested positive for a mosquito-borne virus that has spread through the Caribbean. The state Health Department says the residents who came down with chikungunya had returned to New Jersey from the Caribbean. Chikungunya causes a high fever and severe pain in the joints. It is rarely fatal. Meanwhile, the West Nile virus was found across the state, but no one has tested positive, said health officials.

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:37:19 GMT
    One of the two deputy U.S. marshals shot in the West Village was released from the hospital on Tuesday. The marshals and an NYPD detective were seriously wounded in a shootout with fugitive sexual assault suspect Charles Richard Mozdir, officials said. The shootout happened in a smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street. Mozdir was killed.
    One of the two deputy U.S. marshals shot in the West Village was released from the hospital on Tuesday. The marshals and an NYPD detective were seriously wounded in a shootout with fugitive sexual assault suspect Charles Richard Mozdir, officials said. The shootout happened in a smoke shop called Smoking Culture on West 4th Street near Jones Street. Mozdir was killed.
  • 4 injured in Brooklyn building fire

    4 injured in Brooklyn building fire

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:33:06 GMT
    Four people were injured in a fire in an apartment building on Loring Ave. in East New York, Brooklyn.The flames broke out at about 11:13 a.m. on Tuesday in the six-story building. The injured were taken to a local hospital. Three of the victims were reportedly children. The extent of their injuries is unclear.
    Four people were injured in a fire in an apartment building on Loring Ave. in East New York, Brooklyn.The flames broke out at about 11:13 a.m. on Tuesday in the six-story building. The injured were taken to a local hospital. Three of the victims were reportedly children. The extent of their injuries is unclear.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices