Family: Suspected kidnapper had deal with baby's mother - New York News

Family: Suspected kidnapper had deal with baby's mother

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

The family of a woman jailed and awaiting charges after an AMBER Alert was issued for an 8-month-old boy taken from his home on Wednesday is coming to her defense, saying the abduction was a deal between two mothers.

Isabel Diaz-Castillo is currently being held in the Hennepin County Jail, and charges are expected to be filed later Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning.

"I don't know if something is wrong with my sister," Israel Diaz told FOX 9 News.

Diaz said he was not home on Wednesday afternoon when his sister came to his house with a baby no one in the family had seen before.

"My wife called and said, 'Hey, something is wrong,'" he recalled.

His wife told him that Diaz-Castillo brought a baby to the home, and that police were there 20 minutes later. That's because the baby was 8-month-old Carlos Orozco, who had been missing for several hours and was the focus of a statewide AMBER Alert.

The boy's mother, Victoria Orozco, told FOX 9 News that she had put her son down for a nap in his car seat and took a shower. When she returned, Carlos was gone and she quickly pointed police toward a woman she had met at a Laundromat a month ago.

"I have only seen her twice, and yesterday was the third time," Orozco said. "She came to my house. I've never really met or sat down and talked with her."

Yet, Israel Diaz told FOX 9 News it was no kidnapping. Instead, he said his sister's roommate and the two mothers made a deal.

"My sister paid $5,000 for the kid -- for Victoria's son -- because my sister said she is going to care for the kid for a month," he said. "After a month, she would take the kid back."

Orozco calls it crazy, saying no deal ever existed -- and Diaz could not explain why his sister would make such a deal anyway. He also did not know if it had anything to do with his sister's immigration status, as she is an undocumented worker.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has placed an immigration hold on Diaz-Castillo, who has two sons of her own, ages 9 and 12. Family members say they are currently making arrangements for the boys to live with their aunts and uncles.

Join our Facebook family

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Brooklyn man charged in shooting that wounded teen bystander

    Brooklyn man charged in shooting that wounded teen bystander

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-04-18 23:35:59 GMT
    The NYPD has arrested and charged a suspect in the shooting of a teenaged bystander as well as another man in Brooklyn. Police on Friday charged Kareem Potomont, 21, with two counts of attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal use of a firearm, and reckless endangerment in connection with the shooting that took place near a bus stop on Flatbush Avenue on Monday, April 14.
    The NYPD has arrested and charged a suspect in the shooting of a teenaged bystander as well as another man in Brooklyn. Police on Friday charged Kareem Potomont, 21, with two counts of attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal use of a firearm, and reckless endangerment in connection with the shooting that took place near a bus stop on Flatbush Avenue on Monday, April 14.
  • Special Olympics: Athlete Jessica Spitz

    Special Olympics: Athlete Jessica Spitz

    Friday, April 18 2014 6:35 PM EDT2014-04-18 22:35:09 GMT
    Jessica Spitz, 18, is training for one of the biggest days of her life. The Commack, Long Island, High School senior will be competing in the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in the 100-yard dash and the shot put. From the moment Jessica joined Special Olympics last year, she was hooked.
    Jessica Spitz, 18, is training for one of the biggest days of her life. The Commack, Long Island, High School senior will be competing in the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in the 100-yard dash and the shot put. From the moment Jessica joined Special Olympics last year, she was hooked.
  • Faithful flock to Bronx church for its grotto water

    Faithful flock to Bronx church for its grotto water

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:43 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:43:31 GMT
    While a thousand people streamed into a courtyard at St. Lucy Parish in the Bronx to watch a reenactment of the crucifixion of Christ, next door a steady trickle of believers quietly collected water from that church's grotto, taking the liquid home to heal, cure, and bless.
    While a thousand people streamed into a courtyard at St. Lucy Parish in the Bronx to watch a reenactment of the crucifixion of Christ, next door a steady trickle of believers quietly collected water from that church's grotto, taking the liquid home to heal, cure, and bless.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices