AMBER ALERT 8-month-old Minneapolis boy abducted | Carlos Orozco - New York News

AMBER ALERT: Abducted 8-month-old boy found safe, suspect in custody

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

Minneapolis police confirm that the 8-month-old Minneapolis boy abducted on Wednesday has been found safe, and the woman suspected in his kidnapping is now in custody.

An AMBER Alert was issued just after 3 p.m. Wednesday after the baby was taken from an apartment on the city's south side. An acquaintance of the boy's mother was identified as the primary suspect.

According to police, Carlos Orozco was taken from the apartment on the on the 2100 block of Portland Ave. S. just before noon. The mother told police she left Carlos in a car seat in the apartment while she took a shower. When she got out of the shower, the child was gone.

Police identified Isabel Diaz Castillo as the suspect in the abduction. She was believed to have driven away in a red 2002 Kia Sportage hardtop with front-end damage and Minnesota license plate 242 GAU.

Neighbors said they heard a car speed down the alley, and other witnesses told police they saw a 12-year-old boy enter the home around the same time. Investigators believe that boy is Castillo's son.

The abduction was reported in the 3rd Precinct, which is bordered by Interstate 35W to the west, Interstate 94 to the north, the Mississippi River to the east and 62nd Street to the south.

After combing the area, issuing an AMBER Alert and searching places detectives believed Castillo might go, an anonymous tip led police to a home where Castillo's relatives live. Officers found her red Kia parked out front.

"The suspect bailed from the vehicle, ran inside the home, and the officers found the child in the basement of the home," said Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau.

Police say Castillo tried to flee out the back of the home, but was taken into custody. Investigators say she had recently met Carlos's mother, Vicky, and had been paying an inordinate amount of attention to the boy before the abduction.

The boy has since been reunited with his mother and is believed to be in good health. He is being evaluated at the Hennepin County Medical Center as a precaution.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:14:33 GMT

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .


  • Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:49:46 GMT
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
  • Business is good at Coney Island

    Business is good at Coney Island

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:22:32 GMT
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices