26-year DPD veteran: Morale is 'lowest I've ever seen' - New York News

Detroit police veteran: Morale is 'lowest I've ever seen'

DETROIT (WJBK) -

In the City of Detroit violent crime is up, but arrests are significantly down.  It's a bad time for low morale to affect how police do their jobs, but one officer says that's exactly what's happening.

"I don't know why I'm coming to work every day and working hard," he said.

How would he describe the morale in the Detroit Police Department right now?

"For years you always hear morale is low, but honestly it's the lowest I've ever seen it.  I have 26 years on the job.  Every day when I go in the locker room or when I walk into the station, I hear people saying, 'Why am I here?  I hate it here.'  People are trying to leave."

On the job and fed up, this Detroit police officer says low morale and long days are putting the people of Detroit in danger.

So what is making morale so bad?

"The twelve hour shifts, the pay, the treatment, the lies," he said.

Last year, police pay was cut by ten percent, benefits were reduced, and since then the ripple effect is undeniable.  At the end of 2012, most precincts recorded lower arrest rates even though violent crime in the city is out of control.

"I don't have time to lock up these people for traffic offenses.  If it's a felony or something serious, yeah, I have to do that.  But I'm not going to arrest somebody for driving without a license and leave my comrades by themselves out here for two or three hours while the prisoner is being processed," the officer said.

In this officer's district Monday there were only two squad cars, that's four officers for 10,000 people, and the bad guys know they outnumber the cops.

"I think they're getting the word.  That's why there [are] so many robberies out here right now," he said.  "This city is not going to come back until the people feel safe.  I work here.  I don't feel safe."

We contacted Detroit police for reaction to this story.  They never returned our calls.

Reminder: Speed cameras in LI school zones

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:33 AM EDT2014-09-02 09:33:47 GMT
    Reminder for drivers that as children head back to school in Nassau County so too, will the speed cameras in school zones. Officials say speed cams will be fully operational at 25 locations this week. That will more than double eventually.

Hope's Land of Candy

Monday, September 1 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-09-02 00:13:34 GMT
    Step through the doors of Hope's Land of Candy in Island Park, Long Island and you''ll be taking a trip back in time. There's no WIFI but they do have a Victrola piano. And then there's the candy.. lots and lots of it.

Subway bedbug infestations on the rise

Monday, September 1 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:48:09 GMT
    It appears the subway bedbug problem we've been reporting is getting worse. Commuters already have to contend with sweltering platforms, scurrying rats and packed train cars, and now there's another transit woe: fear of bedbugs.

Child, 3, hospitalized after falling from second-story window

Monday, September 1 2014 11:31 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:31:18 GMT
    A 3-year-old child is receiving treatment at St. John hospital after falling from a second-story window in Detroit this weekend.

Boy, 5, thrown from father's dirt bike and run over

Monday, September 1 2014 11:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:18:50 GMT
    Residents inside Northport Apartments in Macomb Township say that Sunday afternoon they saw a 27-year-old neighbor riding a dirt bike with his 5-year-old son along busy Garfield Road.Neighbors say they've seen him riding before -- but this time he had his child with him."The first thing that caught my eye was he was riding in his dad's lap," neighbor Tim Hale said. "And they were weaving throughout drainage ditches which are pretty steep." Macomb County sheriffs say the small, orange dirt bik...

Flooding, power outages from latest round of storms

Monday, September 1 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:14:26 GMT
    More flooding and power outages are being reported after the latest batch of storms.