Family’s new house demolished without warning - New York News

Family’s new house demolished without warning

Posted: Updated:
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (MyFoxDetroit) -

Tangela Jones thought she was the proud owner of a 3-bedroom home in Detroit. She planned to move in with her six kids in just two weeks. But when she stopped by the house earlier this week, she never expected to see her future home completely demolished.

Jones bought the house from a California real estate company two months ago. That company told her it usually receives notification when one of its houses is scheduled to be torn down. But in this case, nothing had been reported about Jones' new home.

Fox 2 crews visited the demolition company's headquarters in Shelby Township. There we learned the company was hired by the Michigan Land Bank, a state agency that controls about 12,000 properties in Detroit.

The company released this statement, on behalf of Mario Morrow, Michigan Land Bank Fast Track Authority Spokesman:


"The Michigan Land Bank demolished this property on Feb. 4th. The demolition occurred at the direction of the Wayne County Treasurer's Office. The property was purchased late last year at the Wayne County tax foreclosed property auction and it is the county's responsibility to notify purchasers that their home may be scheduled for demolition."

The Wayne County Treasurers office disputes the notion that they ordered the demolition.  A spokesperson tells Fox 2 that according to county records, the property is owned by an out of state company called Peter Bluebird LLC., a California based company, not the Michigan Land bank.  The treasurer's office says they will investigate this matter further.

In the meantime, Jones worries her family may be homeless soon.

Jones says, "You want the city of Detroit to come back, and when people buy a house to try and bring it back, they tear it down. I think that's just awful. I just want to stay in the city and live in the city. But they're making it hard for us to even be in the city."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices