5 charged with importing unsafe toys to US - New York News

5 charged with importing unsafe toys to US

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - Federal prosecutors in New York say five people illegally imported unsafe toys from China into the U.S. with high lead content and other hazards.

The five Queens residents were arrested Wednesday on charges they violated copyright laws and the consumer product safety act.

3 of the defendants are Chinese nationals. The other two are naturalized U.S. citizens originally from China.

According to an indictment in Brooklyn, they imported toys that were choking hazards, or that contained other toxic chemicals.

They also imported and sold "knock-off" versions of toys that featured children's characters, like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dora the Explorer and Mickey Mouse.

Prosecutors say they seized dozens of illegal toys that were sold in stores around Queens and Brooklyn.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • FAA bans all flights to Tel Aviv airport

    FAA bans all flights to Tel Aviv airport

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:59 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:59:29 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
  • Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:18:12 GMT
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
  • Protesters want NYPD Commissioner Bratton fired

    Protesters want NYPD Commissioner Bratton fired

    Monday, July 21 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:48:52 GMT
    A group of demonstrators is calling for the resignation of New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton. The group, known as "New Yorkers Against Bratton," held a small protest Monday outside City Hall. Protesters said Bratton needs to be fired after the death of a Staten Island man in police custody.
    A group of demonstrators is calling for the resignation of New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton. The group, known as "New Yorkers Against Bratton," held a small protest Monday outside City Hall. Protesters said Bratton needs to be fired after the death of a Staten Island man in police custody.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices