3 robbery suspects killed in crash in Gary, 1 suspect at large - New York News

3 robbery suspects killed in crash in Gary, 1 suspect at large

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

Gary officials said three men trying to avoid police were killed Wednesday morning when their car smashed into a tree. A fourth suspect is still at large.

Officers were called to a burglary on Connecticut Street at 10:07 a.m., when police said they saw a car speeding away from the scene in Glen Park, Ind. The suspects had already been inside the house and taken a few items from the home.

In the subsequent pursuit, the silver 1998 Dodge Stratus reached speeds of 90 mph, made several turns and eventually plowed into two trees, the last in the 4000 block of Monroe Street.

The vehicle spun clockwise after hitting that tree, with so great a force that the front end was crushed around the circumference of the tree. The car rested facing southbound, just south of Norfolk and Southern railroad tracks that cross Monroe Street at 40th Avenue.

The steering wheel impaled itself in the driver's chest. He and the back-seat passenger were dead at the scene, while the third suspect, who was in the front passenger seat, was flown to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Illinois, where he later died.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's office in Chicago identified that boy in the front passenger seat as Shedaven Gibbs, 14, of the 3900 block of Massachusetts Street.

The Lake County Coroner's office identified the two other dead suspects as Ronnie Arthurs, 17, of Chicago, and Andre Carradine, 19, of Gary. They were both pronounced dead from blunt force trauma.

Gary firefighters and Lake County deputy coroners worked for almost three hours to extricate the two bodies from the mangled metal.

Police at the scene said later a fourth suspect may have run from the house when the others left in the car. The fourth man has not been located.

Patrolman Tamara Hall chased the silver Dodge west and north as the driver disregarded traffic signals during the pursuit, which lasted 2 minutes and 3 seconds, police spokeswoman Cpl. Gabrielle King said.

While the tedious work of extricating the bodies continued, police stood guard at the scene of the burglary, waiting for the resident to return home so they could enter.

For a while, police thought the fourth suspect might still be inside the victim's home and the SWAT team was called to the scene. When the homeowner arrived, the SWAT members cleared the area.

The Lake County accident reconstruction team, led by Sgt. George Nestorovich, is handling the investigation in the double fatal crash. Gary police will investigate the burglary.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices