2 families need help after Detroit house fire that killed baby - New York News

2 families need help after Detroit house fire that killed baby

DETROIT (WJBK) -

A baby trapped and killed in a fire is waiting to be buried.  Her family can't afford a funeral.  Meanwhile, the family that lived in the house where the victim was staying also needs a lot of help.

Wednesday afternoon, a fire inspector dug through the charred debris looking for clues that will explain how the deadly fire started.

It was just after 1:00 a.m. Saturday when thick, black smoke and orange flames tore through a house on Promenade Street.

"I opened up my door and the flames [were] coming towards the hallway so strong," said Mabeline Baker.

She was watching nine-month-old Akira Perkins Williams for her daughter's friend along with her three grandchildren -- a four-month-old baby boy, a three-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy.  Her adult son was also in the home at the time of the fire.

Akira's baby bottle still lays on the bed where the little girl's lifeless body was discovered.  She was alone in the back bedroom.  Baker says she couldn't reach her.

"I was actually trying to get my son to wake up.  He wouldn't wake up.  I'm trying to get back there to this baby.  I've got three of them in my room," she explained.  "I had to throw them out not even knowing if I might injure on of them, especially the four-month-old baby."

Akira still hasn't been laid to rest.  Her family is trying to raise $1,800 to pay for her funeral.

Mabeline, already struggling to make ends meet, has no money to help with the burial.

"I loved that baby like she [was] my own grandchild," she said.

The Bakers are mourning the loss of Akira while trying to find a way to go on.  They lost all of their possessions and don't have insurance.

The American Red Cross is helping out the Baker family.  They put them up in a motel, but their time is running out.  The landlord has even paid for the next few nights.  After that, they don't know where they're going to go.

"We'll have to start all over again," said Falisha Baker.

"God bless somebody to help me out where... my kids [and I] can get off the street when my funds for the hotel [are] up because I [don't] have any more money and I can't even get my medicine.  It's just messed up," said Mabeline.

Until the money runs out, nine members of the Baker family will crowd into one room at the Shore Crest Motel near downtown Detroit.  All they have to their names is packed into the tiny room, but they know they are the lucky ones.  They made it out alive.

• Ronnie DahlRonnie DahlMore>>

Tucker Cipriano, Mitchell Young arraigned in circuit court

Sunday, June 9 2013 10:38 PM EDT2013-06-10 02:38:07 GMT
    Tucker Cipriano and Mitchell Young both entered pleas of not guilty Tuesday in the brutal attack on Tucker's family.  We're learning both of their attorneys want separate trials.

Tucker Cipriano, Mitchell Young headed to trial

Sunday, June 9 2013 10:36 PM EDT2013-06-10 02:36:59 GMT
    A brutal baseball bat murder shocked metro Detroit and helped to spark the crackdown on synthetic marijuana.  Now the two young men accused in that attack are heading to trial.

Guns confiscated in raid of suspected drug house

Saturday, February 23 2013 11:33 PM EST2013-02-24 04:33:03 GMT
    An AK-47, three other long guns and two handguns are now off the streets of Detroit. The weapons were confiscated by Wayne County Sherrif's deputies during a raid at a suspected drug house.

Record stores survive and thrive in Brooklyn

Friday, April 18 2014 10:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:59:51 GMT
    When you hear about a place that still sells records, located in a hip neighborhood in the borough of Brooklyn, you enter that store with certain expectations. One of them being: you hope the guy behind the counter talks about music the way Cory Fierman does."I think it's just like the most important thing to you," he says. "I don't know how to describe it. It's the most important thing to me. It's like another language."Cory manages Greenpoint's Academy Records Annex, where they want you ...

Queens Beer Week kicks off

Friday, April 18 2014 10:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:19:20 GMT
    Queens wants to be known as New York City's beer capital. Queens Beer Week kicked off on Friday to celebrate the borough's crafty breweries and the more than 60 venues that serve their beer. Dan Bronson of Crescent and Vine in Astoria is the bearded brains behind the inaugural Queens Beer Week. He organized it all. The nine-day celebration of beers brewed in Queens.

Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.