Mich. Priest removed from Church bought condo in Florida - New York News

Mich. Priest removed from Church bought condo in Florida

Posted: Updated:
TROY, Mich. (WJBK) -

Fresh details are emerging about the financial scandal involving a priest who was recently removed from his parish at St. Thomas More church in Troy.

The Detroit Free Press reports that Rev. Edward Belczak paid $500,000 for a four-bedroom condominium in Florida that he bought from Michael and Janice Verschuren in 2005. Janice Verschuren was at one time the administrator at the St. Thomas More church.

Belczak was removed from his parish last week while the Detroit Catholic Archdiocese investigates how he handled more than $400,000 over six years. An Archdiocese spokesman says Verschuren is also no longer with the church.

Spokesman Ned McGrath says officials are aware of Belczak's condo in Wellington, Florida, but says there are no restrictions on priests owning real estate.

Priests are typically paid less than $40,000 a year McGrath said.

See also: Troy priest under investigation following audit.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Hundreds celebrate Easter at St. Patricks Cathedral

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:37:51 GMT
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
    Hundreds of people showed up to Saturday's Mass at St. Patricks Cathedral to celebrate Easter, one of the holiest days for Christians around the world.
  • NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    NYC police investigating body in plastic container

    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
    Police in New York City are questioning a suspect after discovering a dead body stuffed into a large, black plastic storage container.
  • Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Governor kicks off 114th annual New York International Auto Show

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:18 GMT
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
    Auto fans you may already know this the 114th New York International Automobile Show is in town this week. Governor Cuomo was on hand Saturday to kick off the official opening of the 10 day event by driving a 2015 Chevrolet Corvette convertible through the Jacob Javits Convention Center.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices