Skubick: Snyder's roads plan will be a hard sell - New York News

Skubick: Snyder's roads plan will be a hard sell

Posted: Updated:

By Tim Skubick
Fox 2 News


LANSING, Mich. (WJBK) -- Governor Rick Snyder wants to raise over a billion dollars a year to repair the state's roads and bridges, but already he is running into some roadblocks.

Senator Jack Brandenburg remains to be convinced.

"Yes.  I think that's a good assessment," he says.  "I'm going to keep an open mind."

Snyder is getting lots of open minds, but not a lot of yes votes.

The governor's $1.5 billion a year plan for repairing the roads and fixing other infrastructure projects will be a hard sell.  Many Republicans have signed the so-called "no tax pledge", and even though the governor calls this a fee increase, to those lawmakers it's still a tax hike.

Not even the Senate Republican leader is in sync with his governor.  Sure, they agree that something must be done, but the fee hikes, rejigging of the gas tax, well, Mr. Richardville is not there yet.

The governor has embraced a two pronged strategy.  Lawmakers would first vote before March 7 for his program, but then they would also vote to place on the May ballot a two cent sales tax increase.  If the voters approve that, then the governor's fee hikes would not take effect.

But the Senate Republican leader won't sign off on that, either.

"I'm not going to hurry it through so that we can have an arbitrary date.  I want to make sure when we do this, we do it right," says Richardville.

"I'm not committed to anything regarding this package of bills so far or transportation funding in general," he adds.

To complicate matters, the governor will need Democratic votes to pass his plan, which means he may have to do some horse trading.

"Lots of things come together when you're trying to move something forward, and you need friends on both sides," says Senator Rebekah Warren.

Even the governor knows without Democrats, there are not enough Republican votes to raise revenue for the roads.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices