'She was so humble,' says teen after meeting Taylor Swift - New York News

'She was so humble,' says metro Detroit teen after meeting Taylor Swift

By Amy Andrews
Fox 2 News

MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) -- Kayla Kincannon was diagnosed with her first brain tumor at age 16 and her second at 17.  While this high school junior is fighting for her life, Monday she was on top of the world.

"It was by far the best day of my life," she said.

In the midst of a ferocious battle with an aggressive form of brain cancer, the smile on Kincannon's face doesn't waver.  Friends and family will tell you she's the sweetest and strongest girl they know.

"I'm not completely unafraid of this cancer.  I still have my fears and my days of doubt, but I'm living in spite of that fear and I'm living my life in spite of having this cancer," she said.

That's why they set out on a mission to make her wish come true.

Kincannon used to sing along to Taylor Swift for hours in the mirror when she was a little girl.  Now she listens to her to get through the dark times.

"To me fearless isn't the absence of fear, but living in spite of those things that scare you to death," she said.

Last week, Kincannon and her family traveled to Tennessee looking for treatment options, and what she got in return no medicine could match.  Swift's tour bus rolled up to their hotel in Memphis.

"We were in the hotel eating breakfast, and my dad's like, 'The bus is here.'  And I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, I'm about to go on Taylor's bus."

Kincannon and her family were then whisked away to Nashville for a two hour lunch with the superstar.

"She was so humble and so real and so down to earth and like she wasn't fancy and dressed up.  She was like in jeans," she said.

What makes this story even better is how the lunch date came about.

Late last year, Kincannon's classmates at Lamphere High School launched the social media campaign "Operation Get Kayla to Meet Taylor Swift".  After hundreds of tweets, emails and Facebook posts, their persistence paid off.

"I couldn't say enough words to express my gratitude for them, and other schools that don't like my school and people at my school don't like each other, but they came together," she said.

The meeting with Swift lasted only a few hours, but the memory from Kincannon's lunch date will stay in her heart forever.  So will the love and support from a community that refused to give up on making her dream become a reality.

"I just have to say a huge thank you to Taylor and to the students at my school because they made this happen," she said.

Kincannon is still under her doctor's care, but she is feeling well enough to return to school on Tuesday.

Mom: 4-year-old banned from doughnut shop

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:05 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:05:13 GMT
    4-year-old Justin Otero is a curious guy, but his curiosity got him into some trouble at his local Connecticut doughnut shop.

Ex-Sen. Lieberman to teach at Yeshiva University

Thursday, July 24 2014 2:56 PM EDT2014-07-24 18:56:06 GMT
    Former U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman has been appointed a professor at Yeshiva University for the coming school year. The private university in New York City named him the Joseph Lieberman Chair in Public Policy and Public Service. He'll teach an undergraduate course and give three public lectures on topics ranging from Judaism and public service to the Middle East.

Dunkin' Donuts cashiers will try to 'upsell' you in the afternoon

Thursday, July 24 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-24 18:30:38 GMT
    Dunkin' Donuts handout photoDunkin' Donuts handout photo
    If an iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts is part of your afternoon routine, expect a nudge to buy a cookie or doughnut you didn't plan on. Dunkin' Brands CEO Nigel Travis said in a phone interview Thursday that the company is pushing to get its cashiers to "upsell" to afternoon customers. It's part of an effort to increase sales after stores have emptied out after the morning rush.

Livonia man dies after 2 dogs attack him

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:49 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:49:30 GMT
    A 46-year-old Livonia man was killed Wednesday evening after he was attacked by two dogs while jogging in Metamora.

Council considering land deal for US-Canada bridge

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:48 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:48:33 GMT
    The Detroit City Council is considering the transfer of 301 city-owned properties to the Michigan Land Bank in exchange for $1.4 million from the Canadian government as part of plans for a $2 billion international commuter bridge.

Porch shooter: I didn't know gun was loaded

Thursday, July 24 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:48:56 GMT
    A suburban Detroit man who killed an unarmed woman on his porch immediately suggested to police it was an accident and that he didn't know his shotgun was loaded, according to recorded remarks played in court Thursday.