Laptop charging on couch starts Woodbury house fire - New York News

Laptop charging on couch starts Woodbury house fire

Posted: Updated:
WOODBURY, Minn. (KMSP) -

A severe house fire has one woman in Woodbury warning others about a problem that people need to be aware of as the number of household gadgets continues to climb.

Officials say it smoldered and burned for hours. Woodbury firefighters responded to a call from a neighbor on Tuesday afternoon -- and Cheri Rose came home devastated.

"I had no idea what would have started the fire," said Rose. "I don't leave things plugged in usually. I never would have thought of the laptop. That was not even crossing my mind. "

Investigators say a laptop that was just a couple of years old is to blame. Rose admitted she left it sitting on her couch while it was charging and went to work. Investigators believe it caught fire and burned the couch, the stairs to the second floor and much of the home Rose shares with her 7-year-old granddaughter.

"It's scary to think it sat on the couch forever and we sleep upstairs" says Rose. "If it had happened when I was in my room and she was in hers, what would we have done to get to each other to get out?"

Latest statistics from the Department of Public Safety State Fire Marshal Division show there were 53 fires in which electrical devices were a factor -- resulting in $1.7 million in damage between 2007 and 2011. These electrical devices include:

  • Computer
  • Computer monitor
  • Printer
  • Phone/answering machine
  • Paper shredder
  • Typewriter
  • Radio
  • Speakers
  • TV

Of the 53 fires, six fires were caused by computers, one by a computer monitor.

Commander John Wallgren, of the Woodbury Fire Department, said the brand doesn't matter as much as the potential danger when a laptop is left on a bed or sofa and the vent for cooling is blocked.

"I can tell you, I'm guilty of it too. These laptops are like a book. We throw them on the bed or couch. We need to be a little more aware of electronics," says Commander Wallgren.

That's why Rose is speaking out -- in hopes that raising awareness can help save someone else some heartache.

"Lesson hard, lesson learned. I won't ever leave mine plugged in again ever --if I ever get one," she said.

Anyone who wishes to help Rose with her recovery can go into any US Bank location next week and ask to make a deposit to the Cheri Rose Benefit Fund. Donations can also be mailed to the following address:

US Bank
c/o Thomson Reuters
610 Opperman Dr.
Eagan, MN 55123

Join our Facebook family

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 6:45 AM EDT2014-04-18 10:45:16 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:34:04 GMT
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices