Remains of Spalding Co. Korean War vet finally returning home - New York News

Remains of Spalding Co. Korean War vet finally returning home

Posted: Updated:
SPALDING COUNTY, Ga. -

A Spalding County war hero is coming home more than six decades after being declared missing in action in the Korean War. The remains of Pfc. Bobby Byars were returned to the U.S. in 1993, but it's taken this long to match them to his only surviving relative.

The conflict in Korea is often called "The Forgotten War," but Charles Byars never forgot about his older brother Bobby, who went missing in action there in 1950.

"Even when he left, I was taller than he was at 13. He was only about 5'6'' and I was getting about 5'8'' or 5'9'' at that time," said Charles Byars.

Charles Byars was in shop class at the old Griffin Middle School when he got the word that his brother Bobby wasn't coming home.

"Told us to cut off all the machines and he was talking the sheriff. And the sheriff come over to me and said he needed to talk to me, "said Charles Byars.

That was 62 years ago. But the day after Christmas, Charles got a present he never had expected: Bobby Byars' remains had been identified by the U.S. Army.

"Very emotional as you can understand. I just couldn't believe it because I had really given up hope that he would ever be found," Charles Byars said.    

His brother's remains were returned by North Korea in a deal it made with the U.S. in 1993. It's taken nearly 20 years for the Army to identify him because his remains were among more than a thousand other American soldiers.

"They did match every bone to my DNA and to my brothers," Charles Byars said.

Now all Byars wants is for his brother to be remembered for his ultimate sacrifice.

"I want them to remember that he was a hero, that he gave his life for this country. Not only he, but thousands of others," said Charles Byars.

Pfc. Bobby Byars' received a Purple Heart. His remains will be flown from Hawaii to Georgia next month.  The family is still discussing where to bury him, but they will hold a memorial service once he returns home.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:23:04 GMT
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their five-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer.  Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway on June 1, 2014.  On May 19 he ended up having to have surgery on his liver, gallbladder, diaphragm and lymph nodes after doctors found out he had a large cancerous tumor growing inside of his liver.
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their five-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer.  Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway on June 1, 2014.  On May 19 he ended up having to have surgery on his liver, gallbladder, diaphragm and lymph nodes after doctors found out he had a large cancerous tumor growing inside of his liver.
  • Tornado kills N.J. couple in Va. campground

    Tornado kills N.J. couple in Va. campground

    Thursday, July 24 2014 5:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:06:16 GMT
    Virginia State Police photoVirginia State Police photo
    A New Jersey couple was killed after a tornado caused a tree to fall on their tent at a popular campground, according to Virginia State Police. Lord Balatbat and Lolabeth Ortega, of Jersey City, were killed Thursday morning as a fierce storm ripped through the campground, police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.
    A New Jersey couple was killed after a tornado caused a tree to fall on their tent at a popular campground, according to Virginia State Police. Lord Balatbat and Lolabeth Ortega, of Jersey City, were killed Thursday morning as a fierce storm ripped through the campground, police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.
  • Mom: 4-year-old banned from doughnut shop

    Mom: 4-year-old banned from doughnut shop

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:05 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:05:13 GMT
    4-year-old Justin Otero is a curious guy, but his curiosity got him into some trouble at his local Connecticut doughnut shop.
    4-year-old Justin Otero is a curious guy, but his curiosity got him into some trouble at his local Connecticut doughnut shop.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices