Dozens hurt when ferry hits dock - New York News

Dozens hurt when ferry hits dock

Posted: Updated:
Chris Avore took this photo on the Seastreak ferry. (Used with permission) Chris Avore took this photo on the Seastreak ferry. (Used with permission)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

At least 93 people were hurt when a commuter ferry hit a dock in Lower Manhattan on Wednesday morning.  One of the victims was in critical condition with a head wound.

Passengers on the boat were sent flying as the boat violently crashed into the dock.

The ferry, traveling about 10-12 knots (approximately 11.5-13.8 mph), hit two slips before coming to a stop, according to Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan.

The normal speed for a docking ferry is less than 1 knot, said James Mercante, an attorney specializing in maritime law.

A passenger, Ellen Foran of Neptune City, N.J., said people tumbled on top of one another, hysterical and crying.

One unnamed witness told MyFoxNY.com, "Some people hit glass. Some people hit chairs." Another victim told Fox 5 News the impact threw him 15-20 feet.

Some people who were among the 348 on board during the incident tweeted that there was a lot of blood on the boat from people who were injured.

Passengers were seen in a make-shift staging area with bandages on their head, legs and other body parts.

The accident happened about 8:40 a.m. at Pier 11 at South Street and Gouverneur Lane as the Seastreak Wall Street Ferry attempted to dock. There was gash in the front of the boat after the incident.

A tug boat returned the ferry to Conners Highlands Terminal in New Jersey early Thursday morning.

"This is an ongoing incident," said Commissioner Joseph Bruno, of the Office of Emergency Management.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the U.S. Coast Guard are also investigating the "hard landing."

"We are going into this investigation with an open mind," said NTSB member Robert Sumwalt via the agency's Twitter feed.

Coast Guard law enforcement officers helped test the ferry crew for drugs and alcohol. The Coast Guard will also assist with interviews, technical analyses, ship and hull inspections, a review of all records, and more.

New York City's emergency notification system sent an alert that emergency personnel were on the scene investigating and commuters should expect delays in the area.

Video from SkyFoxHD showed a large number of fire fighters setting up a temporary staging area on the dock with stretchers and other equipment.

Many people, several in business suits, were being taken off of the ferry on back boards for evaluation.

Twenty-one victims were brought to New York Downtown Hospital and twelve patients were taken to New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

One of those injured is in critical condition, said officials from New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

The Seastreak Ferry provides daily service from Atlantic Highlands and Conners Highlands in New Jersey to Pier 11.

The pier reopened at noon.

The ferry had recently switched from jets to propellers because of their fuel savings. One person tweeted that the crew had been having issues docking since the switch was made.

Seastreak issued a statement on the incident saying: "The vessel's crew immediately initiated emergency response procedures and authorities responded quickly due to the location... Seastreak's incident response team is on scene... Our thoughts and prayers are with those that were injured."

The company canceled the 6:10 p.m. departure from Pier 11 for Wednesday. 

Coast Guard records show the Seastreak Wall Street has been involved in at least two prior docking incidents.

On January 29, 2010, the boat hit a cluster of fender piles at the Sandy Hook Bay Marina.  The incident punched a hole through the skin of the ship above the waterline.

On August 11, 2009, the ferry's controls became unresponsive as it was docking at East 34th St.  It suffered a 2- to 3- foot tear in it's bow.

No injuries were reported in either of those incidents.

DID YOU WITNESS THE CRASH? EMAIL THE NTSB: WITNESS@NTSB.GOV

  • Today on Good DayToday on Good DayMore>>

  • Joe Morton on playing 'Rowan Pope' in 'Scandal'

    Joe Morton on playing 'Rowan Pope' in 'Scandal'

    Thursday, April 17 2014 11:16 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:16:20 GMT
    The season three finale of the hit series, 'Scandal,' airs Thursday night. Fans will learn the answer to the pressing question: 'what happens to Rowan Pope (the father of Kerry Washington's character)? When things left off, Morton had killed his ex-wife's lover.  "And I loved every minute of it," joked the star. He wasn't' divulging much in terms of the plot during his interview with Good Day NY, but he did say the show was a highlight of his life.
    The season three finale of the hit series, 'Scandal,' airs Thursday night. Fans will learn the answer to the pressing question: 'what happens to Rowan Pope (the father of Kerry Washington's character)? When things left off, Morton had killed his ex-wife's lover.  "And I loved every minute of it," joked the star. He wasn't' divulging much in terms of the plot during his interview with Good Day NY, but he did say the show was a highlight of his life.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
  • Driver-less cars, cameras that see beneath vehicles at NY Auto Show

    Driver-less cars, cameras that see beneath vehicles at NY Auto Show

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 1:23 PM EDT2014-04-16 17:23:39 GMT
    The future is here when it comes to vehicles. The auto industry has packed nearly 1,000 automobiles into the Jacob Javits Center on Manhattan's West Side for the 2014 NY Auto Show.   Among the 'must-sees' is a hydrogen-powered vehicle and a prototype with cameras that allow you to see the ground underneath as you drive over it.
    The future is here when it comes to vehicles. The auto industry has packed nearly 1,000 automobiles into the Jacob Javits Center on Manhattan's West Side for the 2014 NY Auto Show.   Among the 'must-sees' is a hydrogen-powered vehicle and a prototype with cameras that allow you to see the ground underneath as you drive over it.
  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-18 11:37:43 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 01:30:41 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices