Suspect accused of multiple stabbings denied bond - New York News

Suspect accused of multiple stabbings denied bond

Posted: Updated:
Luke O'Donovan (Photo: Fulton County Police) Luke O'Donovan (Photo: Fulton County Police)
FULTON COUNTY, Ga. -

The 19-year-old man accused of stabbing several people at a New Year's Eve party was denied bond by a Fulton County judge on Wednesday.

The mother of suspect Luke O'Donovan, and his public defender, told the judge that O'Donovan was attacked by a group of people, and only trying to defend himself.

"There are multiple eyewitnesses that saw the incident that said he was being attacked by multiple people, and he was stabbed and it was self-defense. He is not guilty," said O'Donovan's mother.

However, the judge considered O'Donovan a threat, and ordered him held without bond.

Police say O'Donovan stabbed a number of people at the party on Gibson Street in southeast Atlanta. They say O'Donovan got into an argument with Andrew Mainor. Witnesses say O'Donovan pulled a knife and stabbed Mainor.

Six people ended up hurt, including O'Donovan, who was cut on his lower back. He now faces five counts of aggravated assault.
    
A number of the victims were taken to Atlanta Medical Center. One was listed in critical but stable condition after undergoing surgery.

O'Donovan's next court appearance is set for January 16 at the Fulton County courthouse.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices