Lost In Blizzard, Hiker From Pa. Lives To Tell Tale Of Trek - New York News

Lost In Blizzard While Hiking, Chester County Man Lives To Tell Tale Of Trek

HONEYBROOK, Pa. -

Outdoorsman Ian Sarmento from Chester County, Pa., set out on a journey from Mexico to Canada along the Pacific Crest Trail, leaving behind technology, setting forth on the trek with not even a compass in his pocket.

"I wanted to be able to rely on myself given that anything go wrong, but I never expected it to go that wrong," Sarmento told FOX 29 News.

The 2,650-mile trek would take the 21-year-old from Honeybrook about six months to complete, but not without a few bumps along the trail.

Nick-named "I'm fine" by other trailblazers, Sarmento found himself literally knee-deep in a situation where he was – not fine.

"I unzipped the tent, a bunch of snow fell in, I looked out and I was like, 'Wow,'" Sarmento said.

Sarmento's journey had taken a turn for the worse, with no way to communicate.

"I woke up in the morning, went straight not realizing the trail went left. Ended up on a bridge that brought me down into a canyon and pitched my tent. There was no way out," he said.

Not knowing which way to turn, Sarmento said he felt hopeless, "You know, I was just this little speck in this huge wilderness."

With little food, Sarmento was stuck in a canyon of snow. "I had one day worth of trail food, which is about 5,000 calories. When I got in the canyon, and on the second day I was rationing about 300 to 500 calories a day. And after nine days I ran out."

After 10 long days, it rained, and Sarmento was able to retrace his steps back towards the beaten path.

"Not actually knowing that I would get out or not for certain, I started to write notes to all my loved ones, my parents, my brother, my sisters, close friends, just last words you would want to say to somebody," Sarmento recalled.

Once reaching civilization, he saw a search party had been called on his behalf. Woozy, and weak from starvation, he looked up to see a Missing poster with his face on it.

"I felt really bad for causing so much commotion. At the same time, I felt really grateful to be out of it all," Sarmento told Fox 29 News.

Next up for Sarmento is the Continental Divide. But he says he won't think about stepping foot on that trail for a few years as he is still a bit exhausted from the last excursion, not only mentally but physically.

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:31 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:31:43 GMT
    Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.

DUI Driver Will Not Be Charged In Teen's Death

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:24:27 GMT
    Cops say a driver accused of hitting and killing a Bucks County teen and injuring another while driving under the influence of prescription drugs and cocaine will not be charged.

Forest Fire Burning In Cumberland County

Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:17 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:17:05 GMT
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.

Camilla's brother dies in New York after head injury

Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:04 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:04:50 GMT
    The brother-in-law of the Prince of Wales died Wednesday after falling outside a hotel bar and suffering a head injury, police said. Mark Shand, the brother of Prince Charles' wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, was in New York for a charity auction at Sotheby's.

Deep split in Port Authority over unfinished WTC tower

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-04-24 01:03:40 GMT
    Board members of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey revealed a deep split Wednesday over the agency's role in effecting the completion of the long-delayed 3 World Trade Center project, with some commissioners lauding the effort and others expressing grave concerns. The discussion at the monthly board meeting offered a rare glimpse into the negotiations that have been going on behind the scenes in recent months.

God's Love We Deliver virtual bake sale for birthday cakes

Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:36 PM EDT2014-04-23 22:36:46 GMT
    God's Love We Deliver provides meals to people in the New York City area who are too sick to shop and cook for themselves. Clients also receive birthday cards that are decorated by local school students. Sometimes a cake is the only birthday gift that God's Love's clients will receive.