Gamers nationwide are giving up violent video games for the day to honor victims of the Connecticut school massacre. The so-called online cease fire has more than 3,000 registered supporters.
But one 13-year-old boy in Newtown decided to take it a step further. He has decided to give up the violent video games entirely.
"After all this happened, it kind of dawned on me that this was really, really violent," said Andrew de Luca.
After tragedy touched his hometown last week, De Luca made a decision to give up violent video games and encourage his friends to do the same.
He is planning to turn off the first person shooting game "Call of Duty" for good. The game is rated "M for Mature" because of the violence.
His mother was hesitant about buying him the game in the first place.
It is unclear what role, if any, video games played in the life of Adam Lanza, the school shooter. Multiple reports say he spent hours playing militarized style games.
Either way gaming has become a part of the national violence debate since the shooting.
GamerFitNation CEO and President Antwand Pearman is calling on players around the world to participate in an online cease fire on Friday. A Facebook page promoting it already has more than 3,000.
Andrew is planning to hold a buyback for kids in Newtown who want to give up their games. He said any proceeds made from the buyback will go toward organizations helping with the Sandy Hook elementary relief efforts.