One year after fatal accident, drunk driver is finally charged - New York News

One year after fatal accident, drunk driver is finally charged

Posted: Updated:
Keith Barnes lost kid leg after he was hit by a drunk driver. Another individual was killed. Keith Barnes lost kid leg after he was hit by a drunk driver. Another individual was killed.

Keith Barnes' sister says she's elated but frustrated, as it took a year for the accused drunk driver who crippled her brother to finally be charged.

But Keith himself says he can't complain.

"I'm not mad at all, It was definitely a life changing event, but so far it's been good," he said.

Of all the things Keith has had to get used to over the last year, his prosthetic leg is the most obvious.

"I forgot I didn't have a leg," he said. "I tried to walk to the bathroom and my body realized I didn't have a leg and it gave out."

Even hearing that the man who caused him to lose part of his left leg has finally been charged can't bring down his positive attitude.

"I don't wish anything bad on him. I just hope he can get through what he has to go through," said Keith.

Prosecutors charged Eugene Ferrell with six counts of criminal vehicular operation for plowing into Barnes and two other people last December.

Investigators say Ferrell has a blood alcohol content level of .09 when he hit Barnes and Iowa State University hockey player Marcus Andary after they stopped to help a woman who's car has flipped over on the highway.

Andary did not survive.

"I knew he wasn't getting away with it," Keith said. "It just took time for the state to get their stuff together but they are going to throw it at him now."

After two months in a coma, and many more re-learning how to do everything he used to take for granted, Keith is concentrating on getting back behind the barber's chair.

Now, Keith is calling the anniversary of the accident "his new birthday."

"It was a day God gave me a chance to start all over," Keith said. "It was a whole new life. The chance to do things over better and I'm going to take it."

As for whether he would do it again… last time Fox 9 talked to Barnes he said "yes."

But now?

"I wouldn't take it upon myself to get out. I would call for help and wait for help to arrive."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Animation genius of Chuck Jones on display at Museum of the Moving Image

    Animation genius of Chuck Jones on display at Museum of the Moving Image

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:35 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:35:59 GMT
    Chuck Jones -- the genius artist, animator, and director who created Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny and many more -- is the subject of a new exhibition at Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. "What's Up, Doc? The Animation Art of Chuck Jones" runs from July 19, 2014, through January 19, 2015.
    Chuck Jones -- the genius artist, animator, and director who created Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny and many more -- is the subject of a new exhibition at Museum of the Moving Image in Queens. "What's Up, Doc? The Animation Art of Chuck Jones" runs from July 19, 2014, through January 19, 2015.
  • Astorino blasts Cuomo over Moreland Commission

    Astorino blasts Cuomo over Moreland Commission

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:54 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:54:36 GMT
    In 2013, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo created a state panel to investigate public corruption, called the Moreland Commission. But the governor is accused of interfering with investigations and compromising the commission's work. Republican Astorino, who is running against Cuomo, claimed Cuomo didn't hand over evidence to State Police. Astorino wants a special prosecutor to find out if any state and federal laws were broken.
    In 2013, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo created a state panel to investigate public corruption, called the Moreland Commission. But the governor is accused of interfering with investigations and compromising the commission's work. Republican Astorino, who is running against Cuomo, claimed Cuomo didn't hand over evidence to State Police. Astorino wants a special prosecutor to find out if any state and federal laws were broken.
  • WTC shipwreck mystery solved

    WTC shipwreck mystery solved

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:08:14 GMT
    Archeologists say they've solved a mystery that started with the rebuilding at ground zero. During the excavation at the World Trade Center Site, workers uncovered part of an old ship. No one knew where it came from. Now after years of study, researchers believe the sloop dates back to 1773, built from wood harvested from Pennsylvania, the same kind used to build Independence Hall.
    Archeologists say they've solved a mystery that started with the rebuilding at ground zero. During the excavation at the World Trade Center Site, workers uncovered part of an old ship. No one knew where it came from. Now after years of study, researchers believe the sloop dates back to 1773, built from wood harvested from Pennsylvania, the same kind used to build Independence Hall.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices