Officer jumps into frigid river to save man's life - New York News

Officer jumps into frigid river to save man's life

Lt. Jason Cripps jumped into a frigid river to save a man's life in Porterdale on Wednesday. Lt. Jason Cripps jumped into a frigid river to save a man's life in Porterdale on Wednesday.
NEWTON COUNTY, Ga. -

A police officer jumps into a frigid river to save a man's life in Porterdale on Wednesday.

Lt. Jason Cripps says he didn't even think before jumping into the Yellow River after a 60-year-old man jumped off a bridge around lunchtime.

"You could tell his hands were all, I guess, curled up from the cold and he said he couldn't swim. He was kind of bobbing…like an apple. He rolled on his side and head went under and in I went," Cripps said.

Cripps said he was surprised at how quickly he became exhausted from the frosty water.

"It took my breath away," Cripps said. "When I finally got to him, he's like, ‘I just don't want to go on anymore. I don't want to live anymore.' I said, 'not on my watch.' And then I realized, ‘Oh man it's cold.' I couldn't breathe, I started to gasp for air."

Cripps said he was determined to pull the man out.

"I've always heard stories about people saying in frigid water, when rescuers go in, they end up dying…I thought to myself, I'm not going to be that person…I just fought and fought, wrapped my legs around him and just kind of backstroked him out," Cripps said.

Ironically, Lt. Cripps says the same man he rescued, several years ago, threatened his life.

"Wanted to dismember me and bury me next to the river. Right in the same location I pulled him out of it. So just kind of ironic again," Cripps said.

The officer said he doesn't regret his actions.

"I'd do it tomorrow again. It's just part of it," Cripps said.

Cripps said that it took him about an hour to warm up after jumping in to the water. He said the victim had purple lips and hypothermia. He said that the man's family came to the police station to thank him.

• More Local NewsMore>>

Woman missing from health care facility

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:29 AM EDT2014-09-02 10:29:43 GMT
    Roswell police are searching for a woman who was reported missing from a health care facility.

Fatal shooting off Venetian Drive SW

Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:03 AM EDT2014-09-02 08:03:45 GMT
    Atlanta police are investigating after a man was fatally shot outside of an abandoned car wash.

Burglars pretend to be engaged couple buying a home

Monday, September 1 2014 11:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 03:18:05 GMT
    Deputies are asking the public for help to find more homeowners who may have fallen victim to two burglars, pretending to be in the market for a home.The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office says Tyler Michels and Rebecca Weismayer were arrested for burglarizinga 76-year-old man's home. Deputies say the two posed as an engaged couple looking to buy their first home. Detectives tell FOX 5 the homeowner let the suspects in, allowing the two to case his home. The two waited until the homeowner left, ...

$2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.

Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.