Recovering from Sandy! The Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty gives us an update on help within affected communities.
Then, Career Counselor Roy Cohen talks about the job market in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.
Switching gears to the holidays, Carrie Seim of Page Six Magazine shows us unique gifts inspired by the celebrities such as Jay-Z and Beyonce, and priced for all types of budgets!
And, Executive Chef Navjot Arora of Chutney Masala Restaurant in Irvington, New York, is cooking for a good cause. (Scroll down for recipes.)
For more information, log onto:
Chef Navjot Arora's recipes.
BHAJJIA (Veggie Fritters)
5 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 medium potato, julienned
1 small bunch spinach chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp pomegranate powder
6 tbsp (about 1 lb) Besan (gram flour)
Canola oil, for pan frying
1. Mix together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Make sure to add salt last.
2. Knead together to a hard dough consistency.
3. Use a small ice cream scoop to scoop into a fryer at 350 F.
4. Strain and drain excess oil on a cooling rack.
5. Serve with tamarind chutney.
For the shrimp
2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 oz ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp tomato puree
6 oz oil
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 small cardamoms
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 onions, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
3 fresh tomatoes, pureed
Salt, to taste
2 tsps Biryani masala
1. Take oil in a pan add the whole garam masala (ingredients 5 to 9) and sauté until it crackles.
2. Add the chopped onions, sauté till golden brown.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till golden brown.
4. Add all the spices (ingredients 12 to 16) and sauté.
5. Add the pureed fresh tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes on high heat.
6. Add in the tomato puree and cook till the oil starts to separate from the sauce, keep this mixture aside.
7. In a separate pan sauté the biryani masala, add the shrimp, sauté on high heat for about 2 minutes.
8. Add the sauce prepared above.
9. Simmer for 5 minutes.
For the rice
2 lbs grade A long-grain basmati rice
2 qts water
2 tsp salt
1. Bring the water to boil.
2. Add in soaked basmati rice.
3. Simmer until done, fluff the rice.
4. Layer over shrimp curry with chopped fresh cilantro and mint and put saffron on top. Cover tightly and keep on very low heat.
5. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.