Officials: Finch Elementary leak caused by human error - New York News

Officials: Finch Elementary leak caused by human error

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

Students of Finch Elementary School returned to their own school on Friday morning after officials found the cause of a carbon monoxide leak. Classes has been held at Kennedy Middle School since Tuesday.

Monday's carbon monoxide leak at the school was evidently caused by human error, officials say. Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis says two maintenance workers were working on the furnace last Friday, but forgot to reopen a valve.

Davis said that the technicians didn't come forward, even after more than 40 children were taken to the hospital.

"We hold our employees to the highest ethical standards and we intend to address these issues swiftly," Davis said.

The district's associate superintendent, Steve Smith, also says state officials determined the leak was caused by human error.

"The state boiler inspector has determined that the cause of the carbon monoxide event was caused by the failure of the maintenance technicians to reopen a valve leading to the heat exchanger," said Smith.

Shawna Daniels was shocked to hear that it was human error and not mechanical failure that exposed her daughter to deadly carbon monoxide gas.

"It's just a sad, sad thing to hear now that someone was responsible for this and that it just wasn't an accident," said Daniels.

District officials ordered a new boiler for the school and say it will be installed in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, they're taking measures to make sure that this will never happen at any school in the district.

"Carbon monoxide detectors have been installed at Finch Elementary School, and the district is currently developing a plan to install carbon monoxide detectors across the entire district," said Smith.

The fire marshal said the building at Finch has been temporarily met the city's fire codes for occupancy, but they'll return to the campus once the new boiler is installed to inspect it.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Subway bedbug infestations on the rise

    Subway bedbug infestations on the rise

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:39:53 GMT
    It appears the subway bedbug problem we've been reporting is getting worse. Commuters already have to contend with sweltering platforms, scurrying rats and packed train cars, and now there's another transit woe: fear of bedbugs.
    It appears the subway bedbug problem we've been reporting is getting worse. Commuters already have to contend with sweltering platforms, scurrying rats and packed train cars, and now there's another transit woe: fear of bedbugs.
  • West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

    West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:27:38 GMT
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.
  • Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Revel Casino Hotel starts closing in Atlantic City

    Monday, September 1 2014 5:16 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:16:28 GMT
    Photo by Arun Kristian DasPhoto by Arun Kristian Das
    The most spectacular and costly failure in Atlantic City's 36-year history of casino gambling begins to play out Monday when the $2.4 billion Revel Casino Hotel empties its hotel.
    Atlantic City's newest casino and its costliest failure has begun its two-day shutdown.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices