Fresh & Easy chain may be sold or closed - New York News

Fresh & Easy chain may be sold or closed

Posted: Updated:
GLENDALE, Ariz. -

Are we soon going be saying goodbye to "Fresh & Easy?" The grocery chain is reportedly on the way out.

Fresh & Easy opened up 200 stores in Arizona, California and Nevada five years ago just as the economy was in a free fall.

The company has spent $1.6 billion on the concept, but so far, hasn't seen one penny in profit, and that means they are looking to get out of the grocery business.

Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Markets took the valley by storm when the British company Tesco decided to jump into the U.S. supermarket business back in 2007.

The company set up shop in neighborhoods all over Arizona, and at first it looked like it was a winning formula.

"We were so excited when this store opened up. I mean everyone in this neighborhood uses this store. Everybody I know," says shopper Marcy Steele.

"They are a little bit more expensive than a lot of other places - and I think that has something to do with it, and I think it took some time for them to catch on but they are certainly more convenient," says Kirstin Lundin.

But the business has never turned a profit, and many stores never opened - or closed down after a short run - like one in Glendale.

Now the company says it wants out of the U.S. grocery business and is looking to sell or possibly close all 200 locations.

"But if you come here at 8 o'clock at night or when everyone's getting off work - you can't even find a parking space. This is a very popular store," says Steele.

Aman Gill shops here all the time, but thinks the company was too ambitious.

"And they expanded I think a little too quick. They opened a ton of stores all at once, maybe they should have eased their way into the market and seen - hey this is where it works, and this is where it doesn't," he says.

Tesco says it is looking at all options, including selling Fresh & Easy stores or closing them all down - which would mean thousands of people would lose their jobs.

There should be a decision announced by April.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices