Open House On Paulsboro Train Derailment Postponed - New York News

Open House On Paulsboro Train Derailment Postponed

Posted: Updated:
PAULSBORO, N.J. -

A shelter in place order due to chemicals in the air after last week's Paulsboro train derailment have forced an open house scheduled for Tuesday night to be postponed, authorities say.

Word came by way of a news release attributed to the Joint Information Center and issued on the U.S. Coast Guard's website Tuesday afternoon.

"A shelter in place ordered in Paulsboro Township Monday evening remains in effect, after air monitoring taken overnight continued to register elevated levels," the release states. "As a result, the community open house and town council meeting scheduled for this evening at Paulsboro High School has been postponed."

Coast Guard Capt. Kathy Moore, with the Unified Command, is quoted in the news release as giving the following explanation: "We want to make sure the residents of Paulsboro have an opportunity to speak one on one with the experts to get the information they need. But we want to do it at a time when we can be confident that there is a minimal likelihood that any of the people who need information will be subject to a shelter in place order this evening."

Authorities say they working closely with Borough of Paulsboro officials to keep the community affected by the derailment informed.

They're also urging residents to register to receive Gloucester County emergency alerts by visiting the county's website, and selecting the "Alerts" tab. There are two alert systems residents should register for; one for voice and one for text.

Those who have questions or who feel they have been affected by the derailment should call 1-800-230-7049 for assistance.

Residents have been urged since Sunday night to keep their windows closed after detecting unsafe air levels. An evacuation order is in effect for an area closer to the scene.

At two separate times Monday air-quality reports indicated higher levels of airborne chemicals.

Still, the U.S. Coast Guard assured FOX 29 that although the toxic chemical was in the air it was not threatening level. Authorities believe the warmer temperatures could be playing into the problem.

As for the quality of the water, the Coast Guard says that water samples are being sent to a lab.

The postponement of the open house is likely to further frustrate some residents in Paulsboro, particularly those in an evacuation zone near the derailment scene.

Some have expressed displeasure with the overall level of communication they're receiving.

FOX spoke with one woman who lives two blocks from the derailed train. She said she doesn't understand why she hasn't been evacuated and how authorities decided who should stay and who should go.

FOX 29's Stephanie Esposito spoke to state Assemblyman John Burzichelli on Tuesday morning about the latest developments.  He told Stephanie that a barge is due to arrive Tuesday from New York.  The process of removing the cars will begin, but before that can even happen, members of the NTSB have to go down to the scene of the accident.

He also told Stephanie that there are approximately 1,000 gallons of chemicals left in the compromised rail car. 

While crews work to clean up the mess, kids attending schools in Paulsboro will have the rest of the week off. School officials say they are following the recommendation of emergency response teams.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices