Man who caused crash on I-10 a corrections officer - New York News

Man who caused crash on I-10 a corrections officer

Posted: Updated:
BUCKEYE, Ariz. -

There's a new twist in the case of a valley man accused of causing a deadly crash on I-10 last week that involved several kids. It turns out the suspect is a corrections officer.

DPS says this started as an argument between husband and wife, and it ended with that horrible accident that left one person dead near I-10 and Watson.

We've learned that the suspect has been a corrections officer for more than a decade.

35-year-old Ricardo Castro spent a few days in the hospital. He was driving a sedan around 11 p.m. last Tuesday when he crashed into an SUV carrying a mom and her 5 kids. All the kids were ejected but survived.

The traffic back-up led to another crash 45 minutes later. A semi rear-ended another big rig, killing one of the drivers.

The semis burst into flames, and the 10 was closed near Watson Road for almost 12 hours -- on the very busy travel day, the day before thanksgiving.

According to court paperwork, it all started with an argument between Castro and his 27-year-old wife.

"he told her he was going to kill her due to finding a text message from an ex-boyfriend," states court paperwork.

He let his mother-in-law and daughter out of the car on the side of the freeway before speeding off with his wife.

She told officers Castro attempted to take off her seat belt and struck her several times in the face before the first accident.

Castro has worked at the Lewis Prison outside Buckeye for the past 12 years. The Department Of Corrections has launched an administrative investigation.

Castro's wife says she fears for her safety is her husband is released.

That administrative investigation could lead to him losing his job -- but that may be the least of his problems. He's looking a number of serious charges, including 6 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

He's being held on $200,000 bond.

Related stories

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:14 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:14:35 GMT
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    An NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices