National debate spurred by Little Falls deaths strains community - New York News

National debate spurred by Little Falls deaths strains community

Posted: Updated:
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. (KMSP) -

The fatal shooting of two teens in Little Falls, Minn., got national attention on Tuesday as news outlets discussed how far homeowners should go in defending themselves, but residents say the spotlight is straining an already suffering community.

The case itself, which includes graphic information about how 17-year-old Nick Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer, has been particularly tough for the teenage friends of the two cousins who were shot by 64-year-old Byron Smith on Thanksgiving Day.

"This is really consuming the whole community," Sheila Gardner told FOX 9 News.

Everywhere you turn in Little Falls, people are talking about the fatal encounter at Smith's rural home.

"It's horrible," said Kifer's friend Stephanie Gardner. "Don't' know how else to describe it -- so many affected by it."

Tuesday was the first day since the deaths that students in the small river community returned to class.

"More than anything else, it's stunned -- shock," superintendent Steve Jones told FOX 9 News. "Kids are quiet; kids are respectful."

Jones said some of the students are heartbroken, but others are disgusted by the graphic and violent details of the case -- along with the national debate that has followed.

On social media sites -- including Facebook, friends of the slain teens were so offended by the commentary and opinions posted on their tribute pages for Haile and Nick that they shut them down and launched new ones.

"I think kids are learning that some things you can't control in social media world," Jones said. "It's a point of conversation today."

A funeral for the two teens is set for 10 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1 at Living Hope Assembly of God Church. There will also be a visitation held between 4-8 p.m. on Friday at Emblom-Brenny Funeral Service with a prayer service at 7 p.m.

As the debate and analysis played out across the country, more details about the accused murderer have also emerged. The U.S. State Department confirmed that Smith worked in a security capacity for the federal government up until 2016.

FOX 9 News also obtained a copy of the police report from a prior alleged break-in at his home along the Mississippi River. In it, smith claimed the thieves made off with $9,000 in cash and coin, $3,000 in camera gear and a couple of guns.

When authorities asked Smith who he suspected in that crime, Smith mentioned a neighbor -- John Lange. Interestingly, Lange has been Smith's most outspoken supporter since his arrest last week.

Online resources:

Join our Facebook family

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Weather conditions ripe for brush fires in NJ

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:08 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:08:34 GMT
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
    Forecasters have issued a red flag warning and fire weather watch for most of New Jersey.
  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:23:11 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices