2 women ID'd in alleged kidnapping of 3-year-old boy - New York News

2 women ID'd in alleged kidnapping of 3-year-old boy

Posted: Updated:
Candace Clark; Sophia Mendez-Deltoro Candace Clark; Sophia Mendez-Deltoro
Dominique San Miguel Dominique San Miguel
Stephon San Miguel Stephon San Miguel
PHOENIX -

Phoenix Police say two women have been arrested for kidnapping a 3-year-old boy from the Motel 6 at I-17 and West Indian School Road on Thursday.

3-year-old Stephon San Miguel was found at a home near 21st Avenue and Jefferson at around 10:30 p.m. on Thursday night.

Shortly after, 31-year-old Candace Clark and 38-year-old Sophia Mendez-Deltoro were arrested at an apartment near 29th Avenue and Camelback after police saw them driving in Stephon's father's truck.

Police say 23-year-old Dominique San Miguel, Stephon's father, met Clark and Mendez-Deltoro at the motel at 4 a.m. Thursday.

Clark drank alcohol while San Miguel and Mendez-Deltoro used meth, police say. The group later decided to drive around in San Miguel's truck, with San Miguel's two sons.  

After about an hour, the group returned to the hotel room and San Miguel said he fell asleep at some point. When he woke up, he noticed his 3-year-old son was gone. His truck and wallet were also missing when he woke up.

His other son, a 5-year-old, told officers he saw his brother leave with the two women. Police say the women dropped off the boy at a home near 21st Avenue and Jefferson. 

A woman living in the home saw the boy's picture on the news and called police. She told officers a woman named "Booster" left him at her home. That woman has not been named a suspect.

Police say the boy's father first told officers he knew the women, and thought his son was okay. San Miguel shares custody of the boys with his estranged wife.

"What we've learned since then, and the mother has arrived at the scene, is that that's not true. It appears these young ladies he just met a couple of hours before he invited them to his motel room, we don't know why," said Holmes.

Police say Clark denied being "Booster" but admitted to partying with San Miguel. She told officers someone named "Boxer" took Stephon from the motel room but no suspect named "Boxer" has been found.

Clark was booked for kidnapping, theft of a means of transportation and for warrants -- Mendez-Deltoro was booked for possession of dangerous drugs, and San Miguel was booked for two counts of child neglect.        

Stephon was unharmed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot in Manhattan

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:32 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:32:05 GMT
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in lower Manhattan, officials said. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in lower Manhattan, officials said. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
  • Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:24:34 GMT
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices