MnDOT wraps up 169-494 construction in time for holiday travel - New York News

MnDOT wraps up 169-494 construction in time for holiday travel

Posted: Updated:
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (KMSP) -

It's been a long time coming, and commuters are thankful that the interchange between Highway 169 and Interstate 494, which has been two years in the making, is finally finished.

Crews plan to complete the last few tasks before fully opening the interchange at midnight, and that means motorists who have been sitting in construction are now getting will soon get a holiday surprise.

"By tomorrow, you should be traveling in your permanent configuration heading through that stretch," said Kerstin Klein, with the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

The new interchange is nothing like what drivers in the area have been used to. In fact, if you're not paying attention, it'll seem like you're driving in circles -- and for good reason. There are six roundabouts on the frontage roads surrounding the interchange.

The West 78th Street frontage road was reopened shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, which links up with many of the roundabouts.

A bird's eye view shows the new traffic patterns now that the barriers along westbound I-494 are a thing of the past, allowing traffic direct access to the northbound and southbound flyways to 169. So far, traffic appears to be flowing smoothly through what has been one of the worst bottlenecks in the metro.

Drivers could still see crews in the area as the finishing touches are put on the landscaping in the area.

"They still will work on some of the culverts that they are still putting in that area," Klein said. "There may still be some work on curbs."

The project cost $124 million, and was completed exactly on time. MnDOT likes to have all of its major construction projects end on or before Thanksgiving, marking the traditional end to the construction season.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices