Alan Hevesi to parole board: arrogance was downfall - New York News

Alan Hevesi to parole board: arrogance was downfall

Posted: Updated:

By RIK STEVENS | AP

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Even after a year in jail, former New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi says arrogance and a sense of entitlement born of rubbing elbows with billionaires and world leaders kept him from admitting it was wrong to take gifts and campaign contributions in return for access to the state's massive and lucrative pension fund.

A visit from his three adult children shortly after he was denied parole the first time last year finally changed his mind.

"They are loving, they are loyal, supported me, stood by me all the way through this and then beat me up, verbally beat me up, because I was in denial about what really occurred," he told a parole board last week, according to a transcript released Tuesday.

"When you sit in prison, you have a lot of time to think, analyze different elements of this crime, some of which I tried to minimize because I could make the case maybe this was not a crime, this was not so severe and so on," he told the panel gathered at Mid-State Correctional Facility in Marcy. "Now that was the process where I reached some conclusion that I would like to share with you ... This is what my kids drew out of me."

Hevesi was granted parole last week after spending 19 months in prison for accepting gifts and campaign donations from people trying to do business with the state pension fund. As comptroller, Hevesi was sole trustee of the fund, now valued at nearly $150 billion. He pleaded guilty to official misconduct in 2010 and was sentenced to one to four years in prison.

At his hearing, he told the story of an immigrant kid rising to the state legislature and finally state comptroller, where he routinely crossed paths with hedge fund millionaires, Wall Street billionaires, presidents and prime ministers.

"I got arrogant," he said. "Not arrogant that I treated people like British nobles and how they treat their servants, not like that, but that I am entitled."

The 72-year-old former assemblyman and New York City comptroller was entangled in an investigation of so-called "pay to play" practices at the pension fund. Hevesi will be released by Dec. 19, with parole supervision to follow until April 14, 2015. Release conditions include not associating with three other men convicted in the investigation: political consultant Henry Morris, investor Elliot Broidy and former fund investment officer David Loglisi.

Hevesi told the parole board that he now understands letting a venture capitalist pay $75,000 of expenses for trips to Israel, primarily on pension fund business, which the state could have paid, was criminal. He said that all campaign contributions were spent on his re-election and that he didn't personally receive any money.

"All of a sudden I am a big shot in my own head, not overt that I committed a crime but because I said I am entitled to some of these perks too," he told the board. "It got away from me. Maybe this is wrong, but I willfully turned away from that and decided not to inquire, I allowed it to happen and that is why I am in prison and that is why I didn't challenge it because, you know what, I am guilty."

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Giving your college-bound kids their space

    Giving your college-bound kids their space

    Friday, August 22 2014 9:31 PM EDT2014-08-23 01:31:50 GMT
    Going off to college is an exciting time for the entire family, especially for the upcoming freshman. But with technology, parents can be in touch all the time. What's too much and what's just enough? Freshman move-in day seems to be harder on the parents than the students at Stony Brook University.
    Going off to college is an exciting time for the entire family, especially for the upcoming freshman. But with technology, parents can be in touch all the time. What's too much and what's just enough? Freshman move-in day seems to be harder on the parents than the students at Stony Brook University.
  • Navy submarine group disbands in Groton ceremony

    Navy submarine group disbands in Groton ceremony

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:36 PM EDT2014-08-23 00:36:24 GMT
    A Navy submarine group based in Groton has been formally disbanded after 49 years. A ceremony Friday aboard the attack submarine USS Missouri marked the end of Submarine Group 2.
    A Navy submarine group based in Groton has been formally disbanded after 49 years. A ceremony Friday aboard the attack submarine USS Missouri marked the end of Submarine Group 2.
  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices